Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Two Mooze!

DSC_0029-002

This little man turned two!  (7 weeks ago.)  He is sweet and sensitive.  He is trouble.  He is joy.

IMG_2665-001IMG_2662

Max’s 2nd birthday turned out to be only eight days before Bennett’s birth day. I was really pregnant and really tired and we had a lot of crazy stuff going on, but I wanted to make the day special for my great big little boy.

IMG_2628

We started the morning with love note balloons.  Two from me and two from Harley, making four total.  Except somehow four turned into 14 when Anderson felt left out, and we remembered balloons are really great things to play with all day long, so why not party with the whole bag?

IMG_2596

Max loves my diet shakes.  He begs for sips every morning (yeah, I’m addicted and have one almost every morning).  I rocked his little birthday world when I gave him an entire can.  I drink mine in a mug, so naturally, he did too.

IMG_2619

This chunk will slim down in no time.

We played at the park and lunched at McDonald’s.  It was low key but Max was thrilled since both spots are his happy places.

DSC_0001 DSC_0005 IMG_2643

Max is 31 pounds (85%) and 34.75 inches (70%). Which is to say he’s 1.5 pounds heavier and .75 inches shorter than Anderson was at age two. Which is to say he’s hefty, solid, chubs. Which is to say LOVE.

DSC_0022DSC_0028

We came home for his nap.  It was his second nap in the big boy bed.  More often than not that week he ended up napping on the floor by the door but has since figured it out and stays in the proper spot.  Good nap transition!  The bedtime transition, on the other hand, has been a disaster thanks to him, his four-year-old roommate and their shenanigan filled desires to party all night long together.  Oh brother, brothers.

IMG_2585 IMG_2593

After naps we played with balloons outside. It was all going well.  I even commended myself that, despite our lives’ state of chaos at the time, I’d actually pulled off a small and simple, but decent, birthday for him. 

DSC_0035 DSC_0036 DSC_0041

Then there was bloodshed.

DSC_0078

Yep, blood on the birthday.  Minutes after I snapped the above photo, I heard Max screaming.  I turned around to see blood coming from his face.  Anderson had accidentally hit him just above the right eye with a rock. 

DSC_0088 IMG_2670

Thanks for that birthday gift, bro.

Little did I know this would be the first of many bleeding episodes for my poor little two-year-old.  At this writing, he’s had eight injuries in seven weeks, most of which can somehow be traced back to Anderson.  Brotherly harm:  the gift that keeps on giving.

We debated going to urgent care for stitches, mostly to prevent potential scarring.  We decided staying home and having our family party was more fun, so hopefully he won’t have an ugly lifetime reminder and begrudge us forever.  If you look at the very top picture on this post, taken Sunday, you can still see a mark on his right eyebrow.  The pediatrician is hopeful it will disappear after six months.  I put off his two-year-old photo shoot for weeks waiting for that injury, and the several that followed, to disappear.  After seven weeks I gave up, and owned the fact that he’s two, he’s my second, and he’s a boy and therefore may never have a clean, uninjured face again.

DSC_0174  DSC_0195 DSC_0208

Waaaaay more fun than getting stitches, right?

DSC_0124DSC_0143

Favorite gift?  Tie between the bubble-blowing Mater lawn mower from Aunt Katie and Uncle Alex and the singing Toy Story card from Grandma and Jeddie.  Happiness peaks when he’s rollin’ with both.

DSC_0149 IMG_2681   

We sure love you Mooze! Sorry your birthday week was clouded with a mini van purchase, a nervous breakdown on my part when said mini van wouldn’t start six days later, scout camp, house guests, a 24 hour power outage in 101 degree heat, your brother’s birth and, oh yeah, a rock to your face.  It was a memorable time, to say the least.

DSC_0038DSC_0059DSC_0048DSC_0049 DSC_0214

10 comments:

Mike said...

Oh my ... I knew about the rose bush incident but hadn't heard about the rock to the head. Wait until he's older and throws rocks back at AB. Then it is really fun.

You sure have cute kids!

Dad

Lisa LaBanc said...

Ohhhh mooze. He is one cute little boy

Rachel said...

love that boy! love that you have all boys and are adapting so well. love you!

Jen said...

You do such a good job of capturing the love and good times amist the chaos that nearly always exists with young children. Happy birthday Max!

Ali Snow said...

Oh Mooze. You'll probably always have a bump and bruise on your body for the rest of your life. I like Dad's comment. Once he can fight back....and Bennett too, you'll get on a first name basis with the doctors in the ER. Maybe Harley will learn how to do a stitch or two. Happy Birthday bud. You sure are cute.

Also - do you give them the entire 2 cake to destroy? What cake do you eat?

Doug and Leslie said...

So cute!

You posted about those shakes a few months ago so I thought I would give them a try and you were right! They are awesome. I have one every day too :)

Sarah S said...

Max is a pretty cute troublemaker!! :) Happy birthday to your sweet little boy. He is darling! (and way to take all of the blood and craziness in stride despite the many things happening all at once!)

Mom said...

I love the first picture of Max........so handsome. Where did the last 2 years go? Now that all my children are officially out of the house and married I am wondering where the last 33 years went.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I just love him more and more all the time. Such a sweet, cute little boy. So sad about all his bonks and bruises.

Really like the new side pics and layout and fab. right nows. Amen to not being pregs. Great birthday party for a great little guy.

jeanette said...

It's okay....what better b-day gift than a scar? Chics dig scars, right? :)