Wednesday, January 11, 2012

BIG

It’s a New Year for the calendar.

IMG_0020  

It’s a New Year for me.

IMG_0072

Guess what party people?  This year is going to be big.  BIG, I tell you. 

My birthday way quiet.  Nice.  Memorable.  Harley took me on a dinner date to B. Smith’s at Union Station.  It was lovely.  There was live music and they played Happy Birthday!  Harley shared a romantic love letter including 32 reasons, divided into 8 categories with 4 subheadings, he loves me. That part was great.

January 2012

Then he broke the news he won't finish his research by August, and he'll need another year to complete his PhD.  That part wasn’t so great.  Bad timing.  Can you think of better news to share with a Birthday Diva ON her Birthday Dinner Date? There were tears -- even though I've been bracing for this inevitable more time needed – I cried. I blame (partly) the planner in me who has hopes and dreams and schedules and Someday expectations.  Later there was a fight (spanning many issues) in front of the Capitol. It was a good one.  But then we talked. And talked. And apologized. And it will be okay.  Seven years in grad school living on loans a million miles away from family isn't so bad, right? All is well. Another year it is, DC. Another year.

And this year?  2012, #32 is going to be one for the history books.  Did I say big earlier?  Epic.

First, have I mentioned I have an iPhone?  Happy Birthday to me!  It, of course, is life changing and makes everything accessible, convenient, and REAL TIME. Future people, I've arrived.

Second, my best friend arrives in a few hours. My parents come at the end of the month. We hosted Cheryl & Co. for Christmas and Kirk & Kaija for New Year’s. Visitors are an excellent way to start the year.

Then there are the real biggies this year’s gonna rock our socks. She's having a baby in April. I'm gaining a nephew.

IMG_6523

She's getting married in June. I'm gaining a brother-in-law.

IMG_3152 copy

He's getting married in June (yes, I said June again). I'm gaining a sister-in-law.

better tom

Oh and we're having a baby in early July. (Guess who's gonna be GI-NOR-MOUS at two family weddings??? 9 months pregnant, on a plane, waddling the weddings, on a plane again. Yeah. Please pray now I don't deliver mid cross country flight.)  I'm gaining weight.  I’m also gaining excitement.  Soft, snuggly, tiny, sweet, new baby excitement.

baby #3

See? Who needs graduation and a job? 2012, 32. Epic.

IMG_0070

31 comments:

Crystal said...

Yeah!!! What a big year! I guess I expected this really. Seeing how you and Mindy usually do this sort of thing together, both almost exactly a year after me.
Three kids is crazy town. Believe you me. But oh how wonderful.
also when will that Husbands learn .... husbands and changing life plans, at Christmas (mine), or birthdays (yours). tisk tisk tisk.

Rachel said...

YOU'RE PREGNANT??!?!?!?! And I for one am glad you are spending another year in DC. :) I would miss you too much if you moved.

Amanda said...

Woo-hoo!! Congrats on #3! How exciting! How are you feeling??
And, Happy Birthday! I love that Harley gave you a categorized love letter...those are my favorite types of gifts =).
What a wonderful year 2012 will be for you guys!

Kara said...

Holy cow! Another baby! I JUST KNEW IT (don't ask me how, I just did)! I am beyond excited for you guys. I'm also beyond excited that we get to keep you here for another year (that's not me being selfish at all). Can't wait for Friday!!!

Ali Snow said...

Yea for a big 2012! It's going to be a busy but FUN summer.

Kricket said...

We are pumped for you guys. Sorry about the delayed graduation. That is tough to take but I'm sure DC won't be the same with out you and they need another year to prepare. We think the world of you guys and we are super excited for that sweet new baby.

Kell's Belles said...

YAY! Congratulations!!! Your socks will be rocked/knocked/etc for sure (baby #3 just does that)!!!! Perhaps a divette is in the cards? My fingers are crossed :)

I'm sorry about the PhD setback. But I am glad you have a couple of reasons to visit this summer!

Finally, love your necklace at the birthday dinner. Best $3 spent ever ;) (Could I include more winky, smiley emoticons in this comment? I think not.)

Love you!

Emily said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Yay! So much excitement! xoxo

Pink Panda said...

2012 will be awesome! Do all the D.C things now while you can! And a baby? How cute is that little one??? Congrats!

Suzette Selden said...

Congrats! That is wonderful news. So happy for you sweetie!!!

Codi said...

Congrats!!!! My sister was 38 weeks and I was 36 weeks at my younger sister's wedding. We were not happy with the younger sister at all... but we just kept reminding ourselves that the belly 2-4 weeks pre-baby looks a lot better than 2 weeks post-baby. haha! Good luck with everything!

Holly said...

congrats!!

Summer said...

I guess it was just meant to be for you to have 3 babies while in Maryland ;-) Congrats on #3 and hopefully the 1st trimester is treating you well!

Lisa Weiler said...

Wowowowowow. Man, sorry about the one more year of PhD-ing and for the sour part of your birthday :( Lets have phone time next week

Julie Broadbent said...

WOW! Big year for the Weiler clan! Congrats Wendy!

Doug and Leslie said...

How did I miss that you are pregnant!? Very exciting. Congrats!

Joo Lin said...

Oh congratulations on all the additions, especially YOURS!!! I'm excited for another kidlet for you :)

jenn said...

Yay! Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! I am so excited for your year! What fun! You are such a great writer/storyteller! I love it! I am so happy! Love you Wendeline!

Robyn said...

AWESOME!!! So excited for you! :)

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

2012 is epic for the Weiler fam. So sorry about the year set-back. Deep in your heart you kind of expected it though right? We all did. Maybe you can visit us down in NC/outer banks next year now?

Who watched your boys when you went out to eat? So sweet of heart to write reasons. Bummer he dropped the bombshell the same time and you had a fight. I need more details on all of this. Did his presentation not get passed?

So glad the word is out on your pregnancy now. It's so hard for me to keep quite.

Jess said...

Ahh! So many comments. First, happy birthday. Sorry about the epic fight. Though it can kind of be good to get everything out at once, you know?

Congratulations on baby #3! My 3rd was early July. He is my BEST baby and he's also a boy, opposite of my two girls. So I wish you the same! An easy, breezy, GIRL opposite of your boys!

Szobonya Bercel said...

Yeah! That's way too exciting! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to know what you're having! :) I have no idea what's the logic in that, but for me it's easier to raise 3 kids than 2.
You'll LOOOVE to have 3 kiddos!! :)
Harley, hajra a tanulassal! :) Kitalaltam, hogy ugy tudnatok a legjobban megunnepelni ha majd vegzel a sulival, hogy eljottok nyaralni Magyarorszagra! Na? NA?? :)

Kelley said...

i love that you guys are having another baaaaby!!! your children are so lucky to be yours, w2k. enjoy your pregnancy- hope it's a healthy, happy 9 mos. also, remember that the here & now is what you'll be looking back at in a few years with the words, "those were some of the happiest days of our lives" running through your head. xoxxoxoox

Mom said...

You said it Wendy, "all is well" and always will be well because you have a good husband with a good heart and work ethic. One more year in DC, I think it will go by very quickly and turn out for the best in the end.

Ligia said...

Yay! Yay to another year here (I already warned you that I'm selfish) and a big yay for baby #3! We've got your back for when the baby comes as long as I'm not at Coldplay :I). And I've said it once already but I'll say it again-32 looks good on you, that's for dang sure!

anna banana said...

Congratulations on all the news! (except the one that made you cry)

Although selfishly I am secretly (not so secretly actually) excited about that too. The closer I can get you to being there when I get there, the happier I am. :)

Love you gorgeous 32!

Amber Snow said...

DEFINITELY BIG!! If anyone can handle it all, it's definitely you! So excited for you and all the fun things you have ahead of you this year. Happy Happy Belated Birthday too - I LOVED the letter Harley did for you. What a dream! LOVE you and thinking of you tons!

Sarah S said...

Holy smokes that IS huge!! So many wonderful things and I had to smile about Harley dropping the bomb at your birthday dinner AND the fight afterward. It was very relatable :) And congrats on #3 on the way!!!! That is very very exciting!!

Marie Davies Howick said...

Yay!! Congrats on everything, especially the baby!!!

Kate said...

well sheesh! Congrats! You are a brave woman!!! 3 kids scares me to death at this point! And if you're going to be there another year... maybe we should come visit...

Gwendolyn said...

Little late to the blog but woah! Congratulations! Based on my experiences being with child, I would say you probably cried and had a fight with your fabulous Harley because you're pregnant.