Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Space Between

Between the Codycoma and the family reFLUion we spent some quality time with my family in Utah.

This is how we got there.  Without Harley.  Remember that one magical time it was the other way around?

 IMG_0322IMG_0375 IMG_0403 

This is what we did.DSC_0085DSC_0090 DSC_0095  DSC_0175

DSC_0171

This is the cousin just Max’s age.  They get along so well.DSC_0115 DSC_0116 DSC_0149

Except when they don’t.  Which is usually Max and his hair obsession's fault.DSC_0279

These are (some of) the people we saw and loved.DSC_0126 DSC_0155 DSC_0177 DSC_0138 DSC_0298 DSC_0426 DSC_0439DSC_0330-1 DSC_0420 DSC_0414 This was Anderson’s last time seeing kid’s best friend, Skeeter.  Skeeter died last week.  Oh we loved that dog.

DSC_0404

This is the wedding I was lucky enough to attend.  I always miss the family weddings.  I was thrilled to be in town for my cousin Mary Jane’s.  Sadly Harley was battling the Terrible Awful Flu and missed it.

DSC_0282 DSC_0293 DSC_0304 DSC_0306 

This is me and Anderson tearing up the dance floor.  Also known as doing our favorite City of Joseph dance move.

 DSC_0311 DSC_0313

And this is me and my Mooze.  His cuteness overwhelms me these days.  But not that particular day as he was TROUBLE at that wedding.

DSC_0315 DSC_0318

This is the view from my parents’ backyard. 

DSC_0361

I fell in love with Utah all over again on this trip.  It may be because I probably won’t go back for a long time, and I felt the finality.  Utah must have known because she showed me her best side.  The mountains were so majestic and so right there.  In the backyard.  So accessible!  The sky was SO blue.  I don’t remember it being that blue before.  Parts of Utah were really green too.  When did the state get that colorful?  The best part was being able to sit outside and breathe in the fresh, cool mountain air without choking in humidity and getting attacked by bugs.  Evenings outdoors, meals on the deck and playing in the backyard could not be more pleasant.  As I mentioned in the last post, Harley and I had the opportunity to drive around Provo for three hours in the middle of the night.  All we did, besides promise Max the world if he would just go the freak to sleep, was talk about how awesome P-town is and how great our memories are.  We fantasized about visiting Utah someday – in secret – and doing everything we love with zero obligations or timelines.  We’d eat at all our favorite restaurants:  Cafe Rio, Cucina Toscana, The Pie, L&T Wrap, Burgers Supreme, Market Street Grill, Rumbi, Ottavios, Silver Fork.  I’d shop at all those niche Mormon places:  Shabby Apple, Mod Bod, Down East, Tai Pan Trading, the Costco that sells pictures of the temple.  The places that, ironically, I don’t have in the shopping mecca of DC.  We recognized all the sweet spots that make Utah so fabulous:  Park City, Sundance, Lake Powell, Moab, Big Cottonwood Canyon (specifically Brighton), Provo Canyon, Zions, Cedar City… BYU!  We agreed we’d spend an entire day (not just the few hours we’re usually able to squeeze in) reacquainting ourselves with BYU and Provo.  It’s changed so much.  We’d ski.  And hike.  And visit new temples.  Anyway.  We just love Utah.  We love it independently of all our loved ones living there, which of course we can’t ignore, which just makes us love it more.  Not that Utah doesn’t have its downsides.  And we’re happy in Maryland.  But we just really appreciated Utah for what it is this time around.

 DSC_0395 DSC_0407

Finally, these are the new tricks Anderson mastered.  I love Anderson’s logic at the end of the first video.

And that, my friends, is me all caught up on my summer travels. 

5 comments:

Mike said...

I absolutely love the picture of Max pulling Hannah's hair and the look on her face. Could be my alltime favorite picture. Thanks for the visit and letting me tend your kids.

Love Grandpa

Ali Snow said...

I didn't know Anderson learned to do a flip on the tramp too. Big trip this time around. Utah is a great place to live. It's easy to find all the negative things about where you live sometimes.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

It was so fun to see all these pics. Makes me homesick. Utah is great. Thanks for reminding me just how great it is.

Ming said...

SO many cute photos! I especially love the ones of Max and Ali's baby girl. SO cute the two of them! Cousins are the best!!!

Such fun times with family and friends. Yes, Utah is gorgeous...too bad the winter is SO long and cold and icky. Oh wait, this is a Utah love fest..my bad. No really Utah is a wonderful place and I'm glad you had such a nice time since it's the last for a while.

PS You look gorgeous in your shabby apple dress! Stunning lady.

anna banana said...

Darling kids! Looks like a great trip and I love your blue dress for the wedding. Gorgeous!