Friday, September 16, 2011

Milk & Cookies

My dear friend Ligia is having her second child, a baby boy! Last summer, when I was pregnant with Max, she taught me an important life lesson I will never forget:  every baby deserves to be celebrated.  First babies, last babies, middle babies, new gender babies.  It’s a baby, it calls for a celebration (even if it’s a small one). 

Last Saturday we celebrated Ligia’s baby.

DSC_0083

I threw her a Milk & Cookies Shower.  It had been almost two years since I’d thrown a theme party.  (Sad, I know.)  And I have to say, I loved it!  I forget how much I enjoy party planning and party hosting.  I admit, without shame, I ripped the theme, and 50% of my supplies and ideas off other people.  I delegated the game, the Pom Pom making and half of the cookie baking.  That’s probably why I loved it so much.  Other people’s ideas, skills, time, talent and baked goods. But I take full credit for alllll the simple little signs that took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to make.

DSC_0026

This was the scene in Montgomery County 48 hours before the shower, which was supposed to be outside.

Courtesy our friend Jon Morgan who shot this flash flood near Seneca Creek, just a few miles from our home.

It had been pouring for almost two weeks straight, leaving zero time for Harley to whip the Garden of Eden turned Ugly Jungle into shape.  But then, on Friday, the sun came out and shined all weekend, leaving us just enough time to feel guilty that our yard still looked awful but no longer able to blame it on, “it never stopped raining.”

The morning of the party Harley and I worked hard to get, at very least the deck, in presentable format.  Still, it was far from hosting quality and provided too easy a view of our mess of a backyard below, so I made a game time decision to use my deck as my last resort instead of my first.  Fortunately it worked.  I had 17 seats (most of which I borrowed the day before).  17 people showed up.  Phew!

This was the scene inside my house 24 hours before the party.

IMG_0435 IMG_0437

I would like to forever and always document here on the blogosphere that I baked 16 dozen cookies.  Four varieties.  None were magazine cover pretty, but all were edible.  Yes, I would like a medal.

Now to the little details.  Thanks to Heather for making the Pom Poms and picking up the balloons!

DSC_0003 DSC_0005

DSC_0018

DSC_0017 

Instead of a shower guest book (why would you want or need that anyway?), I had guests sign a message inside a hardbound children’s book. Some of my favorite baby gifts are the books our loved ones signed. They are twice as rewarding to read to my children. And we read the inscriptions. Every time.

DSC_0015

DSC_0014DSC_0064

One of the best elements of this shower was the favors:  milk bottle shaped sugar cookies.  My friend Brittanie made them.  Aren’t they perfect?  Check out her cute biz here.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010

 DSC_0101DSC_0103

“C is for cookie.  That’s good enough for me…”  We had 10 different kinds of cookies.  Dozens and dozens of each variety.  We’re still eating cookies over here and I’ve shared them at two other parties.

DSC_0031

Eat your heart out Cookie Monster.

DSC_0024DSC_0035 DSC_0040 Dear Mindy, This picture is just for you. What is wrong with my Stacy cookies? Love, Not Martha.

I was so pleased with the way the Milk Station turned out.  Maybe because I love milk.  Maybe because I scored (read “borrowed”) 24 glass milk bottles from Brittanie who got them in Amish Country.  Maybe because this table had all my favorite details and my favorite sign.  Maybe because those bright blue and white flowers make me smile.  Maybe because of all of it.

DSC_0032DSC_0038DSC_0037 DSC_0022 DSC_0020 DSC_0070  

The shower was fun!  I loved the idea of a simple, back to basics theme.  Ashley organized a “Celebrity Baby Names” game, which was right up Ligia’s alley.  We ate our weight in cookies and Ligia opened presents.  Each guest got to ask Ligia one question about her pregnancy, hopes, fears, parenting style, etc. as she opened her gift.  I enjoyed that part the most.  I love a shower where I get to know the guest of honor better and really celebrate HER... and her baby.

DSC_0008 A little blurry but isn’t she pretty?  Such a cute prego.

DSC_0049DSC_0079 Because she is such a big part of my life I have to point out the stake primary president Marianne.  Green skirt front left on the end.  I serve as her 2nd counselor.  I am learning SO MUCH from this woman!

DSC_0080  DSC_0092 Mari, Ligia, me & Heather.  Mari brought 3 dozen cookies even though she just had twins a month ago!  She, Heather and Ashley (sadly, not pictured) were huge helps and I couldn’t have accomplished the cuteness without them!

DSC_0097

Congrats Ligia!  I look forward to meeting your little Mister McQueen soon.

18 comments:

Wendy said...

You are so incredibly sweet & planned an awesome celebration!! :)

Suzette Selden said...

You are amazing with your party throwing skills! I just love it. Just looking at all you did makes me tired. INCREDIBLE girlie!

Kell's Belles said...

FABULOUS!!! I love the idea of celebrating each and every baby (says the woman who had FOUR OF THE SAME GENDER). Love all the personal touches. I miss going to your themed parties ;)

Ming said...

So FABULOUS!!! So glad you did this. Ligia (sp?) is an incredibly lucky girl to have you as her friend! :) Everything turned out so cute. I agree the milk table is adorable. Love those milk jars and all the blue touches. But the signs...love them! You really did a great job on them. So clever. I'm stealing your book and question ideas for my next shower. Genius.

Okay, I appreciate the picture just for me, but I'm not sure which cookies I'm supposed to be looking at? I can't read the signs so I don't know which are the oatmeal cc ones. Help.

Amanda said...

Oh I LOVE it!! Cookies are basically my favorite thing in the whole world...so I may have to steal this idea from you =). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you know.

Lois said...

It was such an awesome shower!! I'll probably copy it someday! :D

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

fabulous beyond description. I feel like this is one of those showers I look and think, I don't have the time, energy, money to pull it off even though I would love more than anything to do so.

I love the milk Station too! So cute! I love all the details and fun additions and touches.

Spectacular. Glad it was such a success.

anna banana said...

Beautiful. Amazing. Love. You are fabulous! Love it all!

Kara said...

Amazing! I love all the little signs- too clever! That's not ribbon outlet ribbon I spy, is it? You make me proud friend.

p.s. The family canvas looks fabulous!

Becca said...

Super fun! You girls really know how to party! I miss you girls. Congrats to Ligia! I do agree that all babies should be celebrated.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That was so fun to read and see all the pictures. Great job! Now I want some of those milk bottles...I'll have to ask Lois how to get to Amish Country! And yes, I agree...each baby should be celebrated!

Ali Snow said...

Looks great! You went all out for this. I also love the milk station. I can't believe you made chocolate chip cookies w/out the chocolate chips. Did anyone eat them? I feel like I get made fun of about that. Way to be proud of who we are and what we love.

Lisa Weiler said...

Spectacular! You say you're no Martha...psh. Will you plan the shower I'm throwing next week? :)

Cristi said...

I am obsessed with your idea... You got a gift!

Ligia said...

Oh my dear friend. Thank you so much for everything. It was beyond perfect, and scrumptious too! So glad we got to celebrate before his arrival. Don't know what I would do without you.

Mom said...

Well done Wendy, WEll DONE!

Joo Lin said...

You are 110% AMAZING! Truly!

Jill said...

So cute! I was thinking of doing a milk and cookies theme for Ellie's first birthday, but I hadn't thought up have the cute things you do. Every detail was perfect at your party. I love it!