Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tour de Jour: Master Bedroom

Our master bedroom is finally 100% unpacked, organized and decorated. Hallelujah! It only took me seven months.

BEFORE

DSC_0018

AFTER

DSC_0304

DSC_0269 DSC_0306

DSC_0222

DSC_0236DSC_0257

Much of our bedroom is the same and has been for almost 8 years. Let’s focus on what is new to the master. Love my Crate & Barrel book case which until now has always been in our living room.

DSC_0297

I scored this dresser for $25 at a yard sale last September. DSC_0216

It looked like this when I picked it up.

DSC_0285

The Divas are in a frame right there with my jewelry because their fashion and accessorizing (even when humorous) inspires me. We’ve been lugging around and never using a set of playing card dishes since I bought them for uber cheap at a Restoration Hardware sale years ago. I’ve almost gotten rid of them many times and I’m glad I didn’t. The Ace of Diamonds is now my jewelry catchall. Too bad it’s not the Queen of Diamonds, right?

DSC_0265The Ace of Spades is there for us when Harley’s pockets explode every night.

DSC_0225Speaking of trying to keep Harley organized, look how beautiful I made his closet two months ago. I guess if I can’t stop the orange shoes at least I can create a place of order for them. Does his closet still look like this? Of course it doesn’t.

DSC_0040 DSC_0041

DSC_0045

Here is my closet. That’s right we have TWO closets. I love it. I juuuust wish it was walk-in. Does my closet still look like this? Of course it does.

DSC_0210 DSC_0209DSC_0212

And my jewelry drawer looks like this.

DSC_0329

Before my closet looked like that I purged. Big time. 82 items donated to the Vietnam Vets of America big time.

DSC_0029

In case you are wondering, this is how Anderson entertained himself while I worked on the closets. Rowing up hangers.

DSC_0015

We have a master bathroom. We’ve never had a master bathroom. We’ve never had more than one bathroom. We now have (and clean, ugh) FOUR. Our master bathroom has two sinks. This is the life people.

DSC_0206 DSC_0201DSC_0197 DSC_0199

Now for what I’m especially excited about/the most recent addition/that which took “finally finishing the master” forever. The wall diagonal from our bed, next to the door used to look like this.

DSC_0082 Now it looks like this.

DSC_0285

Harley had the great idea to hang his guitar on the wall. I spent hours looking at big canvases, picture frames and other art to pair with it. Nothing really spoke to me. I’m a believer art should speak to you and not be just a space filler. I was stumped. To make matters more challenging big beautiful art (that did speak to me) doesn’t come cheap. I liked the idea of a fine art theme. Then it hit me: (well, it didn’t so much hit me as I remembered seeing it in my friend’s guest room long ago) a playbill wall! I have so many playbills! I saved them all! My mom just told me she wants me to clean through my stuff when I visited! Personal, original, affordable ($3 frames at Walmart). And it speaks to me alright. Going through all my old playbills brought back the best kinds of warm, fuzzy memories.

I limited myself to playbills that were Broadway or Broadway touring companies. Certain chunks of my life are scrapbooked (I’m mostly looking at you London study abroad). Those playbills are taped away in books forever and couldn’t come out to play here. This means some of my favorites (hello Blood Brothers) aren’t featured on my wall. There are a handful of others I left out for various reasons, but pretty much these sum up my top theater experiences (again, minus London).

DSC_0088

Hanging and perfectly spacing 16 frames was a beast. Props to Harley on that one.

DSC_0228

Need more views of the playbill wall? Thought so.

DSC_0282 DSC_0314 DSC_0327

Don’t you just want to sit on that bench (which holds costumes and props. Kidding! My sweaters are in there.), play the guitar and sing show tunes? I do! Every morning.

My two favorite playbills are these bad boys. Of course I will tell you their stories.

DSC_0320DSC_0281

Les Miserables. This playbill is 20 years old. Can you believe I still have it? Because I can’t. Actually I can. Attending this production 20 years ago changed my life. I always loved theater, but when my dad’s cousin, Leigh, and her brother’s girlfriend (who became his wife), Heather, visited us in Iowa and last minute invited me to Chicago to see Les Mis… and I went… well, that’s when I really, really knew I loved theater. I was 11 years old. I was moved to tears when Fantine sang “I Dreamed a Dream.” My soul stirred when Jean Valjean belted out “2-4-6-oh-oooonnnneeeee!” and turned himself in. I was embarrassed when Leigh and Heather tried to delicately explain the “Lovely Ladies.” It was my first real Broadway (like I said, traveling company counts) experience. I bought the program. I read the unabridged book. I memorized the songs and learned to play them on the piano. I saved my playbill. And I swore I’d star on Broadway someday. I’ve seen Les Mis about a half dozen times since, but for me, Chicago summer of 1991 will always be the stand out performance of this great musical.

City of Joseph. This is far from Broadway (my one non-Broadway exception) but as close to my heart as Les Mis. My family performed in the City of Joseph pageant in Nauvoo, Illinois every summer for five years. I wore a hoop skirt, gobs of make-up and sang the cheesiest love song ever written. Allison flew through the air and dropped 20 feet into the arms of six buff guys. I gained a testimony of the restoration of the church. That’s pretty much all you need to know. Oh, and that I recreate City of Joseph dance team stunt moves with Anderson daily. Which he loves.

So there’s our Master of the House. (Couldn’t resist.) Stay tuned. I’m finally tackling our basement/playroom/office/craft room/guest room. That’s all one big room, by the way. Speaking of big rooms, I’m pretty sure this master with bathroom is equal to 75% of our entire apartment back in the ghetto. And it’s done. And I’m happy!

DSC_0298

13 comments:

Mom said...

Wendy the room looks so great! I had no idea it was so big. I love what you have done with the playbills. The new red dresser looks good. I have comforter envy.....I love the red and yellow combination. You did a masterful job in the master bedroom!

Harley King said...

Sleeping is so easy in a beautiful room.

Next to a sweet guitar.

And playbills.

Codi said...

Love it! I still have not gotten around to our bedroom and it has been about the same amount of months! This is motivating me a little bit! Thanks!

Jess said...

I love the playbill wall! It looks great! We've been in our house going on years and my master bedroom isn't NEARLY as done.

PS. Harley forgot to add that he gets to sleep next to a diva. :)

Kaija said...

FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I LOVE the playbill wall, and that jewelry drawer is a dream. I can't wait to be done with my dissertation so that I can tackle some home styling and organizing projects of my own! You have truly made a house a home. Enjoy it. It is BEAUTIFUL! And the colors are great.

Jessica Taggart said...

It looks fabulous! Your room is the size of many of your previous apartments. I vote we have the next DMDG at your house? Kidding...sort of...

Ali Snow said...

Look GREAT Wendy. That is hard to line all the pictures up and have them perfectly spaced. Great job. LOVE the red dressers and LOVE the card places. Very cute touch. It might have taken you awhile but you did it very well.

Ali Snow said...

plates...not places...card plates.

Ming said...

Hooray it's done! Love love love. The dresser turned out so great! Such a steal for that piece. Love that you have 2 sinks now. So nice! Love how big and open the room is. Love the card plates, very cute. LOVE the closet & jewelry organization. Jeff's closet/drawers never stay neat like I make them either. So frustrating.

Okay, especially LOVE the playbills wall. It turned out SO great! Love that it has meaning and makes such a fabulous focus wall. So cool.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Looks so, so great! Love the play bills wall. Love your stories of Les Mis and C of J. LoL about you comment of "there it is the Master of the House". Leigh is such a good second cousin aunt?

Wish I could have looked through your DI box. Saw some T-shirts on top I loved.

Will you come organize my Jewelry? It can never stay nice no matter how hard I try.

Michelle said...

Your room looks great and I'm glad you're getting everything just the way you want it!
Hey, when did you do the City of Joseph pageant? That sounds like it would have been such an awesome experience, and I'm glad you got to do that. I had friends that did it for several years, but I'm not exactly sure when they did it--teenage years sometime? Their family name is McGraw and there were a bunch of them (out of their 10 kids, I think at least 6 of them did it and one or maybe even two of them met her husband there too). That would have been fun if you had overlapped with them.

Tami H. said...

way to represent, love the playbill wall, amazed at the picture frame spacing! Love that you do the dance moves with Anderson. We tried to teach them to my lil sis's husband last summer.

Emily said...

Looks great! So big and roomy... Your pictures of Maxwell are so darling.