Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tour de Jour: Max’s Nursery

Whelp, it’s almost Thanksgiving and I’m grateful that after 3 months of being in The Dream Townhouse I finally finished unpacking, organizing and decorating a room.

Let’s not talk about why it takes me so long.

My sweet baby Max began his life with no room. Oh how things are different with the second child. He spent his first weeks in a bassinette by the side of our bed. When I couldn’t handle the newborn sleepovers any more we kicked him into the hall. The hall was his room until we moved in September. Max was 2 months old.

DSC_0075-1

DSC_0179

Max had to share his room with boxes during move week.

DSC_0188 On move day the boxes became his bed.

I am beyond happy we are now living in a spacious (average-sized) mansion (townhouse) where Max can finally have his own room. It was high time, since he was getting a little long for the bassinette.

DSC_0006

We upgraded to the crib a few days after we moved. He seemed so small.

DSC_0262 DSC_0272

Three months later… I finally finished his room. I struggled with this room because the walls are bright white and so is the furniture. I was tempted to paint a wall(s) but that’s work (especially with kids) and I have enough painting projects right now. After I filled the shelves and walls with colorful things I decided it doesn’t look SO white and sterile, and I’m happy with it. (Still, in a perfect world the walls would not match my furniture.) I did this room on a tight budget, which made it a) a fun challenge and b) take forever. I’ll share some penny pinching tips as we go. Everyone loves a good deal, right?

Now to the onslaught of pics.

DSC_0034-1

DSC_0119-1

DSC_0041-1

Anderson’s old bedding (made by my mom!) stuffed with new bumper pads=almost good as new.

DSC_0006-2

I put Max’s birth announcement on a canvas. Affordably done at Costco. Love it.

DSC_0096-1

DSC_0124-1 DSC_0126-1

Where would we be in today’s decor world without Mod Podged letters? I ask you, where?!

DSC_0098-1

Love the built in shelves all over our home. LOVE “Max’s ABC Book” (black book, see what it’s like here) from Brooke Diva.

DSC_0093-1

DSC_0070-1 DSC_0071-1 DSC_0072-1Behold the above failed craft. Thanks to Heather for a fun gift. No thanks to me for botching it. The white mold on a white shelf against a white wall was no good. The easel looked like it was holding air. So I painted it. And this is how it turned out. And now I’m telling people Anderson painted it.

DSC_0115-1

DSC_0079-1

DSC_0081-1

Janae gave us these awesome Nerdy Baby flash cards two years ago. I bought cheap (!) wood frames, painted them and framed the letters M, R, K. Homage to Mr. K (nickname & initials for Max) and the science nerd in our family.DSC_0090-1

I spelled Anderson’s full name in painted wood blocks in his nursery and loved it. For Max I scored bigger, brighter blocks on the cheap at Ross. I love decorating with toys. I used these new blocks in three places in the nursery and in Anderson’s new big boy room. They make me happy.DSC_0112-1DSC_0107-1 The Dream Townhouse has beautiful wood blinds, energy efficient windows and drapes in every room! I wasn’t crazy about these denim drapes at first. Then I decided I loved the buttoned loops at the top. Then I realized denim goes well with the bedding. Then I tied them with ribbon. Now I love them! They bring great color to the white walls.

DSC_0108-1 DSC_0111-1

The room is organized too. Did I mention that? Wanna see?

DSC_0138-1 Drawer of onesies. Short-sleeved white, short-sleeved colored, short-sleeved patterned, short-sleeved striped, long-sleeved patterned, long-sleeved striped. (Say that three times fast.)

DSC_0139-2

DSC_0099-1

Max’s small closet is nearly impossible to photograph because it’s down a mini hall right by the room’s door. This is the best I got.

I think Max is pretty happy in his new pad.

DSC_0049-1DSC_0044-1

How did Anderson stay busy during this little photo shoot? Dumping, sorting and rowing up pebbles, of course.

DSC_0134-1

Behind Anderson is a sneak peak at my next project: master bedroom.

Wanna place bets? The rest of the house 100% put together by… the 4th of July?

20 comments:

Suzette Selden said...

Love the nursery Wendy. It's super creative, and I love the colors. I don't think it is too white at all!

Kell's Belles said...

Looks fantastic! I love all the personalized touches you added. A very special place for a very special boy :)

Ali Snow said...

So darling and so many great accessories. Those really make an adorable room. Such attention to detail.

Sorry - but I don't think the house will be done til next Thanksgiving....

My favorite is the nerday flashcards and the framed pictures of Max all over the room.

The canvas looks great. What a fun idea.

lys said...

1) Can I tell you the sheer joy I feel that you are back to blogging? I've missed your posts.

2) I love all the details of Maxwell's room-- most of all the Nerd cards spelling his name.

3) I love Max's hair. I wish he would share with Matisse.

4) Thank you for showing me, yet again, what it means to be organized. I dream of being as organized as you someday.

5) I'm going to steal your baby announcement enlargement idea. Wish I had thought of that with my older two kids.

Mom said...

The room looks so GREAT! I love all the personal touches that make it Max's room. He looks like a living doll in the last 2 pictures. I want to testify to all who see this blog that yes, Wendy's house STAYS as organized as shown in the pictures.

Codi said...

So cute! I am dying laughing though because when I saw the picture of Max's foot and hand print, I thought "oh, how sweet that Anderson painted it, and he did a great job!" Then I read that you did it and are saying that Anderson did... I am still chuckling to myself. I say paint the whole heart blue. On the other hand people will think it is sweet that Anderson did it:)

Really that room looks fantastic! Very good ideas!

As one renter to another, embrace the white! Here is a blog that has helped me to accept my white walls as they are:( http://www.inthefunlane.com/

Kaija said...

Nice work! It looks like a beautiful place! And what beautiful furniture! I've missed your blogging, too!

Anonymous said...

Very,very nice. Right now I am quite jeaulous. Even of cardboard box furniture which looks like it makes a very comfy bed.

1. Love the scientific flash cards. He is going to be smart.

2. 8 pairs of shoes!!?? Is he related to Imelda? or MOM?

3. I like submarines.

4. I bet money you will be done way before my house is done.

Love Dad

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Fun to see the final touches finished. The canvas looks great..the blue frames look great...the hand and foot prints look okay... overall fantastic room. And Max looks adorable in the crib pics.

Kelley said...

you are a great decorator, w2k! i must say, however, that my favorite part of this post is sweet max. he is just so darling. seriously. i am loving his hair color. have fun getting settled in. xo

Sarah S said...

Oh my gosh Wendy. You are SO ORGANIZED!!!! Those dresser drawers made my mouth drop open. You would die if you saw my kids' drawers that are NOT full of neatly folded clothes in rows (mainly because my boys love to open them and mess things up, but I am definitely to blame too).

I am so impressed with all you have done to make Max's room so darling AND that you're on to your room! I can't wait to see more pics.

janaemadsen said...

oh I love it- danielle loves those little pebbles too.

jeanette said...

Don't be an overacheiver! Getting the entire house done by NEXT Thanksgiving would be impressive enough. Oh...and Max's room does look fabulous.

Ligia said...

oh girl, i've been in my house for 3 years and i STILL don't have any curtains up...not on one single window! Thank goodness for those lovely blinds. Love the room!!! You know, I go over to your house enough, you'd think I would have come up to see all your work in Max's nursery by now, but somehow my lazy bum never seems to quite make it up those stairs. Next time...make me!

anna banana said...

Looks darling! Nice work, love the framed nerd cards the best I think :)

Emily said...

Love Max's fresh and colorful room! Well done. Em

Brittany said...

I love it! You are amazing! :)

Laura said...

I know I'm a bit late, but the baby announcement canvas part is my favorite part of all the wonderful parts. Part.

becky said...

LOVE the nursery! Please come to my house and help me organize. You are a wizard...Wendy the Wizard. Darling, darling, darling!

Ming said...

Sorry for the UBER late response. Darn you iPhone & google reader.

Okay, on to the fabulousness that is this nursery (lucky little Max)!
LOVE the science cards!
LOVE the wooden blocks with his name!
LOVE the pics of Max!!
LOVE the organization!! (maybe most of all;)
LOVE all the bright colors!
This really turned out SO great!!!

I REALLY hope to see it in person sometime next year. (cross your fingers)