Thursday, October 14, 2010

Monkey Business

#1. We’re keeping the shoes. The blog votes were split almost 50/50. 17 keep ‘em. 18 kick ‘em. For the record, we had more verbal votes for kick ‘em, including two from Harley’s parents. Funny how parents on both sides always seem to support the in-law, not the child. Actually I think that’s pretty great and speaks volumes of our relationships. Anyway, back to business. It was a close vote. We’re keeping them as running shoes. Let me remind everyone I like them as running shoes and the right outfit shoes. Harley promises he’ll change shoes if ever I “express concern” over a particular outfit (ie one involving a bright red shirt). We’ll see how this goes.

#2. I’ve been trying for a year and a half to get Anderson excited about his monkey backpack. We’ve gifted it to him on multiple holidays. Finally this summer he started carrying it, but he refused to wear it.

DSC_0197

This week, a backpack breakthrough.

DSC_0015-1

We have his “guy problem” to thank. Anderson is going through that stage where he collects (read: hoards) his favorite items (read: everything) and takes (read: lugs) them places (read: everywhere). Here are Anderson and his “guys” watching a movie.

DSC_0076

His guys (cars, planes, trains, pacifiers, Happy Meal toys, stuffed animals, Legos, fake spiders, plastic Disney characters and more) have become like members of the family. The collection keeps growing thanks to generous grandparents (pretty sure most of his guys have Jeddie & Walmart written all over them). Anderson never replaces guys, he only adds to his collection. I think we’ve amassed about 50 guys. Fortunately, I’ve convinced Anderson sometimes guys need a rest. He tells me which ones are resting each day and the remaining winners get schlepped. How? You guessed it. In the backpack. He used to carry the guys in his arms, but the collection grew too big. It was then my child finally saw the genius of the backpack. But only for carrying. Never for wearing. Every day Anderson takes inventory of his guys, “rows ‘em up,” then “packs ‘em up” and carries them around. He’s very organized about it. This has been going on for months.

DSC_0002-6 DSC_0003-5 Ah, the simple days when we had three toys, a collection of pacifiers and our couch cover was in the washing machine.

DSC_0015-2 Remember when we lived in that tiny apartment with the terrible carpets?

DSC_0017-2

DSC_0001

DSC_0005

DSC_0001

What can we learn from this series of pictures (besides I too often let my kid hang out in his pajamas)? Anderson loves his guys, he loves to line up his guys and he loves to transport his guys. Eventually all the guys couldn’t fit in his backpack, so he started carrying around a bucket, in addition to the backpack. Yesterday the collection grew into two buckets. Anderson’s no math genius (yet) but he quickly figured 1 backpack and 2 buckets could not be carried at once. (My child does not believe in making trips.) So when it came time to move everything from the basement to the main floor (oh how I love having multiple floors!!!!), he got frustrated. I gently suggested, as I had so many times before, he wear his backpack so his arms could be free to carry both buckets. His face lit up, he looked at me and said, “That’s a great idea, Mom!”

DSC_0003-1

DSC_0022-1 DSC_0023-1

Amazing. Now EVERYthing can go EVERYwhere. I’m so… grateful?

DSC_0019-1

Now of course Anderson won’t take off the backpack. He proudly wears it “just like Dad.” The timing is perfect since he starts preschool Monday.

#3. Where does Anderson get this incessant need to organize? Oh by the way, here’s what I’ve been up to:

DSC_0036-1

Isn’t it great? And this was taken before I added pretty canisters for the crackers, goldfish, pretzels, etc. Does that glaring from the sun bother you? Sorry, can’t help it. It’s pouring in from our big, beautiful kitchen windows. Unpacking, decorating and organizing makes me so very happy. LOVING my new home and ALL!! OUR!! SPACE!! Next week’s project, Operation Paint:

DSC_0032-1 That’s a lot of wood, right? Wait ‘til you see it in colors. If this goes well I have a second set of stuff to paint. Everything pictured here (except the accordion peg rack which we already owned) was purchased for less than $120. I am addicted to Craigslist and yard sales. But that’s another post. Back to monkeys…

#4. This guy and his wild hair are going to be a monkey for Halloween.

DSC_0020-1

Meeting adjourned.

21 comments:

Amanda said...

Cute backback...but even cuter kid. Your new place looks awesome! I'm so glad you're loving it.

Ming said...

Oh the monkey backpack. Love that he's finally wearing it. Love that he carts two buckets and a backpack full of toys around everywhere. Jack definitely carts things, but more one off things here and there. Too funny.

Hooray for an organized pantry. I need to go through mine again. After almost 3 years it needs a redo. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ming said...

PS love that Netflix said consider it a housewarming gift. Hooray for good businesses!!!

Anonymous said...

I think there is a name for the disease that you and Anderson have, but I cannot say it in public. Would say more but have to go organize my golf balls.

Love Dad

Claudia said...

What a cutie! I am sure he will love preschool with his stylish new backpack!

lys said...

As always, darling pictures and a lovely post. I especially love that first pic-- so precious. Glad to get a peek into your new place. Looks fabulous! I love the hardwood flooring. Anderson and Stratton would be the best of buds b/c he hauls around his "important things" too. Funny little guys.

Sounds like Anderson is taking after his dad in the schooling department with THREE years of preschool. Overachievin' at age 2! (So, you haven't said anything, but am I to assume that he's POTTYTRAINED since he's going to preschool?!! Good for you! I keep putting Stratton off. . .)

Harley King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harley King said...

Too bad Max isn't considered a guy. Then we could kill two birds with one backpack.

Please keep in mind our move in two years when shopping Craiglist.

Brittany said...

Glad to hear Harley's keepin the shoes to run in. :)
Love the monkey backpack. That Anderson is adorable! I love that stage!
BTW that pantry is heaven. You are amazing! We move next week and I can't wait to get organized! Can't wait!
Happy painting! :)

Mom said...

Max really isn't considered a "guy" or he would have been "rowed" up as well. Great post, fun pictures, monkey backpack on the back is a BIG accomplishment.

lys said...

p.s. I forgot to add that I totally envy your furniture revamping skills and your pantry-organizing skills. You've got skills, girl.

p.p.s. Please tell me that Harley didn't pay full price for those orange shoes. I think that I can love them if they were at least 1/2 price.

p.p.p.s. Max's hair is amazing. Can Matisse borrow some of that? She's still bald as a basketball.

anna banana said...

All of my boys have gone through the lining things up phase, but Jake was the biggest liner upper and he still does it, 2 years later. It is pretty fun! Glad your new place is big, light and wonderful!

Ali Snow said...

I love how he says "That's a great idea mom!" Too cute. Maybe some more guys should get "lost". Did you ever find the guys that got lost in the move?

He's very cute in his backpack.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Love it. You're such a good writer/blogger. Can we give my blog a face lift when I come say with you for two weeks?

Love AB and his guys. Too cute. Max is adorable...can't wait to get pics of him and Linc as monkeys.

Know I gave you a hard time about the cupboard pics but they really are refreshingly organized and tidy.

If you hold off on the dressers I can help you with them :)

K said...

I love this post. And this story. And quirky Anderson :) Your pantry is beautiful. So glad you are LOVING your new home! Craigslist indeed ROCKS!

Dolphinsbarn said...

All I want in this life of sin is a pair of orange shoes. I love them. And his flag shirt.

Both items are like the extras they give you to find in the back of a where's Waldo book.

Jessica Taggart said...

Anderson is going to PRESCHOOL? COMO?

I am OUT of the loop...

PS When you get a minute, could you come help me organize my classroom? It is STILL a mess and I just finished the first quarter of school...AGHHHHHH!

jeanette said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOO tempted to send a package with thousands of new guys for Anderson, and a start of some guys and a backpack for Max. :)

Rob said...

Anderson+monkey backpack+thumbs up sign+ hang loose sign= Stud.

Lisa Weiler said...

I think Anderson looks a lot like tom as a kid at this stage. He is a lot like you...taking care of all his guys and organizing them just as you take care of all your friends and organize.

Joo Lin said...

Great descriptions and fabulous photos! Your place looks really nice. The boys look so happy :) So fun that Anderson has a cute backpack and carries his "guys" around. Kids are such good times!