Thursday, September 9, 2010

Not Homeless

We moved. Back to Gaithersburg. Same town we lived in when we first moved to DC. We’re 3.5 miles from our old apartment. But we’re in a new area (Montgomery Village) and a new ward. We moved because Harley transferred labs for his final few (please only 2) years of his PhD program. His commute is now 6.6 miles instead of 28.

We started the apartment hunt, which quickly turned into a townhouse hunt, in June. Three months of searching. Hours on the internet and on the phone. Days wasted with a crappy real estate agent. We toured dozens of properties. We looked at dozens more online. We came thisclose so. many. times. only to watch it fall apart, then have to start all over again. We were committed, and by committed I mean we had a first month’s rent check signed, six – SIX! – different times. Five times it didn’t work out. We had all kinds of “If We’re Homeless” contingency plans, including Harley and a sleeping bag moving into his lab while the boys and I go to Utah for a few months. At the last minute, it worked out. Finally, FINALLY, we found it: The Dream Townhouse.

It’s better than all the other properties we looked at. Better than all the other properties we got excited about and committed to. It’s perfect for our family. Too perfect. We have no business being here. I found it last Monday. We applied that night. We packed all day Tuesday and Wednesday. After a ridiculous amount of phone calling and hoop jumping, we signed a lease Wednesday night. We moved Thursday. That was two days after our old lease was up. Two days after we were supposed to move. Five days before new tenants moved in.

It was stressful.

I’m tired.

But we are so happy. And grateful. We had help. So much help. Namely from Harley’s parents, sister and grandpa. Bless them. We could not have done it without them. This picture pretty much sums up how we felt by the time move day finally arrived:

DSC_0199 Aunt Katie, Anderson and our 24-foot truck

So much more… so much later.

16 comments:

K said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us -- how wonderful that you found THE PERFECT PLACE! When we do our part, the Lord always does his. I admire your hardwork and patience. Enjoy your new home! Sending love your way!

Jess said...

I'm glad you found a place that's perfect--not just a place so you don't have to homeless. We'll give you a few weeks before we ask for pictures. :)

Harley King said...

I'm just glad you're talking to me after this move. Remember last move? You weren't talking to me then.

Emily said...

I am so happy for you! This is great news. And I love this post and I love your family, and all of this makes me want to come out and visit you ASAP.

xoxo

Nicole said...

I admit I filled the same size truck and I don't have two kids and a husband. Impressive! Please send out your new addy to the Divas. Thanks for remembering my birthday!

Kara said...

Congratulations on your perfect house! Heaven knows you deserve it. I am beyond happy that everything worked out for you guys. I'm sad we couldn't have a packing party last minute, but I'm glad it got done.

p.s. Can I ask what is on the left side of Katie's shirt?

anna banana said...

So GLAD you are not homeless! Cant wait to see more of your new place!

Claudia said...

Glad everything worked out! You guys deserve the Perfect House!

Rebecca Burningham said...

Can't wait to see the tour! Details, you know, Wendy style.

Ali Snow said...

I didn't know coming to Utah was an option. That would have been my vote. You could have lived with me! Excited to see pictures.

Sarah S said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your new place! It sounds great. Good luck unpacking and getting settled.

Lisa Weiler said...

YAY! Congratulations! I want to see pictures of the new place

Summer and Dave said...

we're excited you guys are back in the area! crazy how that all worked out, but YAY that it finally came together! you'll enjoy the MV ward :-)

Mike said...

I am also very glad you are talking to Harley.! Congratulations. I want to come and see the new digs sometime.

Love DAd

Ming said...

Oh happy day! I'm THRILLED this all worked out for you guys. Can not wait to hear all the deets. I too hope H's school is only 2 more years. 1 would be even better ;)

Love you.

Kelley said...

great news, wendy! enjoy getting settled in and making it your home. loves to you all!