Friday, August 13, 2010

AB & Mr. K

*Explanation of nicknames:  AB=Anders Bug.  It used to stand for Anders Babe, but then he graduated from Babe to Bug status.  Mr. K=Maxwell Robert King.

Nothing melts my heart more than watching my 2-year-old and my newborn interact.   Anderson loves Baby Max and has handled the transition impressively well.

DSC_0064 DSC_0067 DSC_0070 DSC_0071  

They met, as most siblings do, in the hospital.  Anderson was interested in Max right away.  He walked into my room with a big smile and said “Hi Baby Max!,” then climbed on my bed for a closer look.

DSC_0143

DSC_0133He also had a big hug for me, which I appreciated.

DSC_0120-1

Not so sure about holding Max at first. (I love this face.)

DSC_0163

 DSC_0172

A little adjusting…

DSC_0170

Much better.

DSC_0171

DSC_0175

Anderson’s interest in Max didn’t last long.  There were more exciting things  to play with, like my IV.  Ouch.

DSC_0153

On day 2, it was a quick hello, then on to watching television from a moving bed.  Now that’s fun stuff.

DSC_0264

DSC_0283 

Since we’ve been home (6 1/2 weeks), I’m happy to report we’ve only had two incidents where Max has taken an Anderson beating.  The first was an accidental head bonk.  The second was a less than accidental (I’m assuming… I didn’t actually see it happen) whack with a backpack.  The second was a little scary and resulted in a time out for Anderson and major comforting for Max.  Other than that, my only fear is Anderson will smother Max with his love.

DSC_0008-1

Several times a day Anderson peaks over the (2x hand me down) bassinette and informs me whether or not Max is sleeping.  90% of the time the report comes back, “Baby Max is nigh-nights.”  Bless you, Max.

DSC_0369DSC_0372 

One of the best things we did to smooth the transition was throw Max a birthday party.  I totally admit I stole this idea from a friend.  We had the party on Max’s due date.   It wasn’t anything big or fancy.  We had cake (funfetti, of course).  We sang.  We danced to this song.  Anderson gave Max the perfect gift:  a book all about a Max, who becomes a King.   Anderson loved helping with the cake (thank you Mom for keeping him busy with this!), singing to Max and the excuse to party.  My mom, Harley and I loved celebrating Max and welcoming him to our family.  I want to continue this tradition with future children.

DSC_0126 DSC_0138  Max was 12 days old, so we lit 12 candles.  Max tried to blow them out.  When he couldn’t, Anderson happily stepped in.

I still can’t believe I have two boys.  One so big.  One so little.

DSC_0020-1

Speaking of little, Anderson loves to tell us about all the things he can do because he’s a big boy and Max  can’t do because “he too yittle” (little).  According to Anderson, Max cannot go swimming, go to church  (Max and I took a nice, healthy church maternity leave ;)), go on the slide,  jump on the bed, eat candy or get baptized.  Good thing we all agree Max is big enough for baths, kisses and cuddles.

DSC_0051

DSC_0122-1 DSC_0153-1

Oh how I love my boys.

DSC_0196  

DSC_0091

DSC_0127

12 comments:

Crystal said...

3 boys.
That is a lot of testosterone for your Diva self, but it sounds like a recipe for a future full of fun.

Amanda said...

That was just adorable! What a sweet big brother Anderson is =). I'm glad things are going so well!

Mary J said...

This post just melted my heart. You are so blessed!

Jess said...

Thanks for the shout-out! The boys are adorable together. And I found that the worst sibling problems were in the first 6-8 weeks, so you're almost to the new "normal." Until Max gets big enough to start taking Anderson's stuff. :)

Cheryl Harris said...

Cuters. Such love from big bug to the yittle bug. I kind of feel like that's not going to be the case with Lincoln. Last night we babysat a bunch of neighborhood kids including 2 4 month old babies who cried most the time and required me to be holding them....Lincoln did NOT like it. He threw the biggest fits for no reason other than I was holding a different baby and not him. Yikes.

K said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing all the WONDERFUL photos! That photo class trained you well!

Ali Snow said...

1 - Why do hospital gowns have to be so ugly?

2 - Anderson's head is so big compared to Max - and Max has a big head.

3 - Cute Robot pajamas.

4 - The picture of Anderson kissing naked baby...his hair totally reminds me of Hannah. It doesn't look as dark as it normally does.

Mom said...

Harley looks "tigh-tigh" in the next to last picture. You will see that face a lot when the boys are teenagers and young adults with girlfriends.

Ming said...

Adorable pics. I know I've said it a million times but oh that hair! I can't get over how much and how thick and how dark it is. Mostly how much and how thick! If Addie had that hair I could already put real barrets in it. So jealous! Cute cute cute!

Brittany said...

Love the nicknames! Too cute!

Rachel said...

so cute. you are the best blogger! seriously!

anna banana said...

Darling you will love having two boys! They will be such great playmates and friends! (and they will wrestle too:)

Love the birthday idea, totally doing that if I get another chance. Cute cute cute!