Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Viva La Diva

 

Viva la DIva 

Almost twelve years ago I started my freshman year at BYU.  I lived on the 2100 floor of David John Hall where I met some of  THE. MOST. AMAZING. women I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing.  These girls changed my life, shaped my personality, and taught me countless lessons in flirting, fun and most importantly, friendship.  We quickly formed eternal bonds and became THE DIVAS.  We’re now spread across the country, busy having careers, children and chaotic lives.  That didn’t stop us from having a reunion over Memorial Day weekend 2006, which we dubbed, Diva May Day Getaway, or DMDG.  Four years later, (last month) we had DMDG II.  Four years from now, we’ll have DMDG III.  I believe our DMDGs will continue until we die.  Then we’ll just be heaven roommates.

Divas 1998:

image0How sad is this picture?  The quality alone makes me feel old.  It’s missing Mithona and Faye and has an extra girl or two, but it’s the best freshman year Diva group shot I could find in my apartment. 

Divas 2006:

HPIM2328

Divas 2010:

DSC_0122

 

Another THEN (2006) and NOW (2010):

HPIM2333

DSC_0123

Someone (Jessica?) said we each always strike the same “sexy” pose.  Looking at these two shots, she’s right about half of us… me being the prime example.

 

DMDG 2010 was everything you’d want a best friends’ reunion weekend to be.  It was four days of every and all things DIVA.  A heartfelt thanks to Nicole and Kelly who planned every perfectly themed little detail you see in pictures below AND provided us all with special matching necklaces

   DSC_0038 

DSC_0043

DSC_0525

  DSC_0068 

 

DMDG 2010 was held at a lovely condo just outside Park City.  (Shout out to Sarah for her awesome hook up!)  11 (of 16) Divas gathered from 9 different states.  To all the husbands, extended family members, bosses, wallets and more who supported us and made this possible… THANK YOU!  I know everyone sacrificed on many levels to be there, but I know we all agree it was 100% worth it.

Our theme:  Viva La Diva.  We all turn 30 this year, so we celebrated US.  Our age, our experience, our life, our friendship and our DIVA.  My favorite part of the weekend was the Viva La Diva birthday party. 

DSC_0179

The party included the most delicious cake to honor every bridal shower, wedding, baby shower, birthday, graduation, etc. we’ve marked over the last four years without each other.  We paid tribute to our major life events and accomplishments that night.  We played a party game:   “Name that Diva” using our baby pictures.  We sang to ourselves and blew out sparkly candles.   The cake was to die for.  Seriously.

DSC_0575

 DSC_0589

DSC_0610

Then we exchanged gifts.  We each brought one of our favorite things to share with each other.  We called it “Tales of a True Diva” because in addition to gifting the item, we passed along the tale of how we came to discover it.

DSC_0157We all went home with 10 new, FABULOUS, tried and true “favorites.”

Starred Photos-1

 

Of course the Viva La Diva party was just the beginning.  We spent the weekend

 EATING…

DSC_0019

DSC_0116

SNACKING…

DSC_0060

CATCHING UP…

DSC_0538

SPA-ING…  We devoted an entire day just to pampering ourselves.  Thanks to Jessica, Sally and their expertise and generosity the day included facials, eye care advice, deep conditioning hair treatments, paraffin wax baths,  professional massages, exfoliation, feet soaking, and nail painting.  We learned how to enter our 30’s beautifully.

DSC_0092

DMDG 2010

DSC_0102

GAMING…

DSC_0272 

DSC_0267Let it be known Jessica and I totally won the “Roommate Game” (a la the “Newlywed Game”).  The best part is we weren’t even roommates freshman year.

DANCING…

DSC_0177   No Diva gathering is complete without The Car Dance.

DSC_0166

What were we doing here?  Rubbing the prego belly for dancing luck?   Something like that.  Did I mention NO BABIES came to the DMDG?!  Nursing babies were invited, but major props to Gwendolyn and Brooke who left their nursing 13 and 4 (!!!!) month olds home.  That was amazing!  I was the only one pregnant.   I may or may not have planned my pregnancy around this reunion.  :)  I love these girls and my Diva time that much.  They made it worth it.  I got the royal prego treatment:  my own room -- complete with a black-out shade and a fan, first dibs on the most comfortable chairs, consistent offers to fetch my water or clear my plate, and it seemed every time I leaned over I magically got my back rubbed.  Oh, my Divas were good to me!

REMINISCING… This included digging through our Time Capsule from 2006 then adding to it with letters to ourselves and notes of admiration to each other.

DSC_0605

SHOPPING…

2010 May_ 193

RELAXING… And by relaxing, I mean, these crazies actually exercised.

DSC_0573

FINE WINE (Martinelli’s) & CHEESING…

DSC_0276

BOOK TUBBING… holding a book club in a hot tub.  Genius, right?  How did we not get a picture of this?

 

AND LAUGHING.  A LOT. 

Starred Photos

 

Am I leaving anything out?  Oh yeah, we karaoked too.  On Sunday we filled an entire row at the local ward’s sacrament meeting.  What a site we were.  11 girls decked out in high heels and accessories, packed in one row, no kids or husbands in sight.  Much to our pleasant surprise, the main speaker spoke on friendship, how important it is and what we can do to create and nurture friendships.  Meant to be?  That’s what we thought as we squeezed hands and exchanged looks throughout the talk.

DSC_0192    Top Row L-R:  Sally Walker, Emily Scarborough, Brooke Warner, Jessica Taggart, Wendy King, Kelly Durham, Gwendolyn Wyne; Bottom Row L-R:  Sarah Severson, Nicole Santiago, Larissa Delgado & Asialene Smith

We sincerely missed Faye Knisley (who delivered a baby girl 1 day later!), Amber Snow (who delivered a baby boy 4 days later), Suzette Selden, Nicole Mangiardi and Mithona Nielsen.

  DSC_0261

As I look at these faces (and try to ignore the poor picture quality… grrr!!), I am overwhelmed by my respect and love for each Diva individually and the collective group.  I am deeply grateful for these friendships.  I could write pages about choice growing experiences I’ve had with each girl.  Every Diva has many qualities I admire.   Our associations and traditions bless my life daily.  It’s taken effort,  time, money and, on occasion, heartache to invest in and foster these relationships.  Yet I was reminded all weekend how worthy any sacrifice for friendship is.  I cherish the time we spent together in college and the memories we continue to make today.   I loved every laugh, tear, confession, celebration and bonding moment of our DMDG 2010.

 

VIVA LA DIVA!

 

DSC_0259

12 comments:

Claudia said...

What a great group of friends you have! Congratulations!res

Gwendolyn said...

Ok I just totally linked your blog in my DMDG post because you do a WAY better job encapsulating everything than I did! I loved that weekend. And I LOVE that you planned baby #2's birthday around it.

Kell's Belles said...

Heaven roommates! I love it! Please let there be more facials and massages up there. Thanks for the great write up. It's always nice to get a good review ;)

Ming said...

So fabulous! I'm so glad you attended the DMDG so that it worked out I could see you in Utah. So fun. You truly are a best friend slut and look where it's gotten you ;)...so many people that love you! You really are the BEST friend.

jaredandmatisse said...

What a riot! You girls are so exclusive, you need your own reality tv show. I loved my freshman year too, but you girls have something special. I always thought Mindy was a diva, did you meet after freahman year?

Anonymous said...

So fun. That cake looks amazing. I want a piece. I'm so glad you were able to reunite with your peeps again and that I got to watch AB. Good times, good times.

Cheryl Harris said...

So fun. Glad you got to reunite with your peeps and that I got to watch AB. That cake looks amazing. I want a piece.

Kaija said...

What a special special tradition!!! (p.s. Kirk is going to be in DC in August...)

Carter said...

You squeezed hands during the sacrament meeting talk?!

Suzette Selden said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there. Looks like it was a blast!!!

anna banana said...

Looks like a fabulous time, makes me wish I was an official diva....sigh. I need some girl time- looks amazing!

Sarah S said...

WENDY!! You wrote such a great post about this. I am feeling like such a failure for not doing the history yet on the DMDG blog. Pathetic. Major props to you and I loved reading your recap.