Friday, June 18, 2010

Two Weeks

DSC_0006Taken last Sunday at 36.5 Weeks

Welp, I’m having a baby two weeks from today. I had an ultrasound last week and the baby measured 9 pounds. That was at 36 weeks. That’s 9 lb. with 4 weeks to cook! Why do I have such massive babies?! Oh yeah, because my husband’s one wish in life is to cleanse the gene pool. Apparently, the Lord is answering a good man’s prayer. Lucky me, right? I know these 9th month ultrasounds can be off by a pound in either direction. But either direction from 9 lb. at 36 weeks isn’t pretty. At 37.5 weeks Anderson measured “only” 7 lb. 13 oz. and he popped out a 9 lb. 8 oz. heifer. The ultrasound technician told me the last three weeks of pregnancy are simply for the baby to put on weight. Some plateau, while others pack on 1/2 a pound a week. We don’t need that! I’m all about big babies once they’re out. They sleep great, eat great and they are so dang chubbilicious. It’s the getting them out part that gives me an anxiety attack. My neonatologist kept using the phrase “traumatic vaginal delivery” as we discussed the baby’s size. He said it over and over and OVER again. It has haunted my dreams since. TRAUMATIC VAGINAL DELIVERY. Can you think of a worse set of words? He warned me about major tearing, organ damage, broken tailbone… then advised I get a C-section SOON. I cried. Fortunately, my OBGYN (whom, I decided today, I love) disagreed. She believes, just by looking at me, the baby is only about 7 lb. now. (Bless her, but I know she’ll be wrong.) During our visit today she kept using the phrase, “successful vaginal delivery.” I loved her for that. She advised a “successful vaginal delivery” for me can best be accomplished by an early induction. I’m all kinds of nervous about any early intervention because my body did NOT react well to (post due date) intervention with Anderson. But I’m in a tough spot: wait for my body/Mother Nature to do her thing = GINORMOUS BABY. Artificially get the party started early = POTENTIAL HARDER LABOR. We’re compromising with an induction at 39 weeks (and 1 day). I check in to the hospital the evening of July 1st. I have the baby July 2nd.

Two weeks.

Two weeks to be miserably pregnant in the wet hot box that is DC.

Two weeks before I kiss his cute, fat face.

image0-1 Are you seeing the chubs? The HUGE cheeks (below the dark circle that are his eyes) and the nose pressed upward? We are both SO SQUISHED!

Two weeks to get so. much. stuff. done.

Top of the To Do list: book Cheryl’s train ticket (which I believe she’s handling as I type). My mom doesn’t fly in until July 4th. Whoops, planned that one wrong. Thanks Cheryl. You know you’re Anderson’s best babysitter!

Next on the list: find housing. Yep, we’re moving. Again. In August. <Sigh.>

Also important on that list: commit to a name.

All I want to do is sit in front of a fan, put my feet up and sip lemonade. Scratch lemonade, make that Checkers’ strawberry shakes. Is that so wrong? I feel like I’ve been going nonstop since the end of March. There have been some fun, fabulous, times -- especially lately with traveling and visitors -- (oh how I hope to have time pre-baby to blog all about it), but I’m exhausted.

DSC_0156 If that isn’t good times, I don’t know what is.

I’m so tired I cancelled social plans for last night and tonight. Last weekend we told out of town friends we just weren’t up for hosting them. It’s too much effort to put on make-up and be “on” for people right now. Can’t I just nap and hang out with Harley and Anderson until this baby comes? Nope, there is that looming To Do list.

DSC_0022

Wouldn’t you want nothing more than to sit half-naked in the sweltering heat with this guy too? His latest stint: wear Harley’s headlamp around his neck and announce, “Mama, I going a Meh-ico!” (Mexico). He then walks over to our front door and stands there for about 30 seconds while shining the light on the wall. He returns and tells me, “Mama, I back!” I think we’re entering the imagination stage. LOVE that.

I have accomplished some important things. Last Saturday I finally nested. I de-cluttered, deep cleaned and reorganized the nursery. I pulled out all of Anderson’s old clothes, sorted and folded them. Then I closeted, drawered or storage binned them appropriately.

DSC_0023Oh how I love a clean, organized closet.

Good news: we’re in pretty great shape. That’s the wonderful thing about second child, same gender. The only things I need to buy right now: breast pump, calendar, new pacifiers, nursing pads and maybe another SwaddleMe. Post move we’ll invest in a big boy bed and a double stroller. My new diaper bag came today. I’m really excited about it. Especially since I got a great deal (new with tags!) on eBay.

We’re getting there. Two weeks. My body is going to rock labor and delivery this time. My OBGYN convinced me. And, heaven help us, THE EPIDURAL IS GOING TO TAKE ON BOTH SIDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, the Lord can answer this good woman’s prayer too, right?

19 comments:

Crystal said...

Good luck!
And for the record. my sis just induced early for her second and it was I think she would say it was still ten times easier than her first. Hope the same goes for you.

Crystal said...

Also is this your "two weeks notice"
hopefully to cooking, cleaning and doing much other than cuddling a new baby and getting some rest.

Brittany said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you! I've had four kids and my easiest labor and delivery was number two for sure! You'll rock it!
Can't wait to see pics and hear the new guys name! :)
BTW can you organize my closets?

Amanda said...

Wendy, you are great. Your delivery will be a success! Also, that top picture should pretty much be on the cover of a magazine! GORGEOUS! Ahhh, and I love that you used "welp." Love it. GOOD LUCK!

janaemadsen said...

I know a lady who had 12 pound babies. no joke. Where did you get that awesome dress?
p.s. my second labor was WAY easier.

Ming said...

Oh wow! I'm SO excited you are inducing. I think this is such a fabulous idea & I only hope and pray that my baby comes early. 3 more weeks of pregnancy sounds like an eternity, but for some reason 2 more weeks seems doable.

That pink dress is adorable! Love that Anders is going to Mexico..so random and hilarious. The closet looks great. Good luck with the to do list...if anyone knows how to knock out a to do list it's you.

Jess said...

First of all, you look FABULOUS! And I just want to repeat that my second was WAY easier too. I went for a run 2 1/2 weeks after giving birth, and I hadn't been running for a couple of years prior. You will do great!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Cutest picture ever of Anders going to MExico. I kind of can't wait to see him in a week and a half. When/wear did you get the dress? So excited for baby Max to come in less than two weeks! Yay!!!

Kaija said...

You look gorgeous, in a gorgeous dress. Our prayers are with you and your big babies! Second ones are supposed to be easier, right?

J. Ed King said...

Wendiline - you know I love you and I would never correct my sweet daughter-in-law so this is a heads up, a FYI, a moment of enlightenment. The word heifer is a term used in bovine terminology to denote a young female animal usually pre-breeding age but a female with her first calf can also be called a heifer. Let see - we can’t refer to Anderson as a steer - for obvious reasons. We can't call him a bull because he not really to breeding age. Bull calf doesn’t seem to work either – wrong species... ummmm - never mind - heifer will do!

You are so wonderful! I love the photo of you in the red dress - very plush and divanish.

Ed to some Dad to others

Ligia said...

ok, where do I start? also loving you in that dress! Looks so comfy-cosie. Kinda want to wear one right now and I'm not even preggo. Loving your OBGYN right now and all the positive support she's giving you. Forget the neo doc...who needs him/her?! LOVING that diaper bag!! And please, PLEASE let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do to help you out. We got back tonight and will be in business as soon as all my laundry gets done which hopefully will be by tom. Seriously, would love to help!

Rebecca Burningham said...

I have that dress too! So cute right?

Have you found any way to keep the flowers from looking... dead? I washed mine and it has never been the same.

I was missing your blog. Glad you're back.

Mom said...

I've got to admit I'm not so much seeing a cute face yet. I'll just have to wait until the 4th of July!

Codi said...

Coming from someone that ha delivered huge Barnes babies (all my sister's have much smaller babies, so I know it is the Barnes)...

25 minutes with forceps to get Iris out. I tell you after that I was scared to death to deliver another baby. My doctor talked to me about a c-section with Willa, but I didn't want that. He then induced me at 39 weeks, and labor was half the time it was with Iris and Willa shot out with one push. She was my best delivery out of the 3.
I know that there is no telling how it will go, but hopefully this will give you a little bit of hope.
Good Luck!

Sarah S said...

I'm so glad your OB is pro-successful vag. delivery. You can do it Wendy!! The good news is you've already had a decent-sized baby come out that way and your body hopefully won't be as traumatized this time around. I'm so excited for you!! I hope the induction goes super smooth. In two weeks.

(And you look FABULOUS in that dress!!)

Mike said...

Is that really you in the red dress? Wow.

I couldn't find any dark eyes or chubby cheeks in the ultra-sound but Max certainly has some Yoda like ears.

Finally, does Anderson have any friends yet named clownly, that he could go to Mexico with?

Love Dad

anna banana said...

You will have a fabulous vaginal delivery! You can do it! You will be amazed how much easier time two is then time one, your body just knows what to do this time! You will do great I know it! Even if he comes out nice and chuncky! Evan was my easiest delivery and recovery, and you know all about that.

Love your dress in the first picture. Love your face in the Diva picture. Love Anderson going to Mexico and I love that closet, makes me want to go organize mine.

Jill said...

I can't believe you are so close! I can't wait to see your new little one and hear his name.

Kara said...

You looked absolutely gorgeous in that dress on Sunday. Maybe I was too wrapped up to tell you, forgive me. I am SO excited for you guys and cannot WAIT to squeeze his little chubby cheeks (you know they have to be, right?).

If anything happens between now and July 2nd, I have no problem being plan F. Call me at any time for any reason. I am THERE.