Friday, May 7, 2010

Hooray for Hollywood

Until last week Harley and I had never vacationed alone together. That sounds contradictory, but allow me to explain. We’ve vacationed with family. We’ve mega-travelled, and on occasion, vacationed with friends. We’ve taken dozens of trips, usually to visit said family and friends. I’ve vacationed without Harley. But together, we always trip or vacation group-style. Trip=lots of sight seeing, rushing around and tired feet. Vacation=no agenda. Vacation alone together=no family to see and no friends to visit. Nothing to do but relax and be with each other. Perhaps most importantly, vacation=no kiddo. Sounds like a honeymoon right? We didn’t have a real honeymoon. We went to St. George and stayed at my grandparents’ condo. (**Side note to all engaged heads: go on a real honeymoon! For the next 10 years you’ll be in school/having babies, so seize your chance now.) At the time our honeymoon didn’t bother me one bit (and I am grateful to my grandparents for their generosity in hooking up unemployed, mid-semester newlyweds). Post-honeymoon it has bothered me. Really bothered me. Six and a half years later, I was growing increasingly bitter about it. We’ve tried to vacation, but it never works out. Pre-Anderson we attempted a babymoon, but – shocker - it ended up being a trip. Apparently, while we struggle at vacationing, we are really good at tripping. We’ve always made the same excuses: time, money, child care. Six weeks ago, I decided it was time to vacation NOW! Harley had a little time off, I landed us great off-season deals and Cheryl owed me. Excuses gone, gone and gone. I wasn’t thrilled about vacationing in my 3rd trimester, but I felt it was now or not for a looooong time. So we did it! We spent six sunny days and five restful nights at a decent-ish hotel on the beach in Hollywood, Florida. Hellooooooo Hollywood! Hollywood was great for our marriage. Hollywood was great for my sanity. Hollywood. Was. Fabulous.

DSC_0162-1

Our “Schedule”

Because I am a “To Do”er I’ll tell you what we “did” every day.

Sleep in. Or at least attempt to sleep in. Why can’t I sleep past 9:30AM (at best) anymore???

Enjoy a continental breakfast, complete with ocean view, morning TV news and a ridiculously wide selection of Danish pastries.

DSC_0172View from hotel.

Beach, beach, beach. This included but was not limited to reading, napping, talking and playing in the water.

DSC_0045

DSC_0131-1

Back to hotel for lunch. This meant eating a bagel we swiped from breakfast.

Lounge at pool. Sometimes we shook things up and hit the pool in the morning and the beach in the afternoon. Wild, I know.

Back to hotel to clean up. Walk to a restaurant for dinner. Relish in delicious meals and uninterrupted conversation while watching the sun set over the ocean.

DSC_0059

Cuddle up in bed with treats and Harley’s laptop, then indulge in our favorite TV shows. We heart hulu. We almost caught up with all our staple programs.

Rinse, repeat.

On day 3 Harley suggested we take a taxi into Miami to visit a museum. I reminded him the nation’s greatest museums are in our backyard and they’re free. Why would we pay to go to a museum in Miami (you know, since Miami is known for museums…)? Plus an activity like that is trippy. See? We struggle vacationing. We’re learning. And I think we’re converting.

FlOrIdA fAvOrItEs

*Spending unlimited, uninterrupted quality time with him.

DSC_0170

*Palm Trees. My new favorite tree.

DSC_0080

DSC_0075

*Swimming pregnant. Have you tried it? You must. You are weightless! Or at least you feel that way. I loved it.

DSC_0153

*Temple session the night before we left. Not technically part of our vacation but an endowment session at the DC temple was a great way to start our time together.

*Eating fabulous meals in peace.

DSC_0176

DSC_0141I had the BEST salad here! Wish I had a picture of it. Grilled chicken, feta cheese, strawberries, candied pecans with red wine vinaigrette dressing. Yum! It was worth the 4 mile roundtrip walk to get it.

DSC_0088 Biggest burger I’ve ever attempted (and failed) to eat in my life. If it’s touted on Oprah, you know it has to be good. It was good. Just too much good.

DSC_0087 The fries on the other hand didn’t last long enough. Piping hot, crispy on the outside, pure potatoey on the inside. Best fries I’ve had. Ever.

*Being 7 months pregnant on vacation. Guess what? Not so bad! I thought I’d feel huge, uncomfortable and wish I was unpregnant. I did feel all those things, but it wasn’t nearly as extreme as I thought it would be. I relaxed a lot and even felt comfortable (gasp!) with my body and embraced my round shape.

DSC_0160-1

DSC_0036

Florida 2010

*Lovely orange and pink flowers everywhere.

DSC_0147

*Reading two books. (This does not include “The Baby Name Wizard” we poured over.) This is huge for me! I read, and enjoyed, “Waiting for Birdy.” I read, and loved, “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.” Harley read, and loved, “The Hunger Games” (which I’m reading now). He read, and appreciated, “Mormon Scientist.” He slogged through because he had to for research, “Future Bioethics.”

DSC_0072

DSC_0068

*Knowing our kid was in the best hands with Cheryl, Ryan & Lincoln. Anderson did great. He even got a little pool time himself. Cheryl, you are so good with him. Thank you!

IMG_5682 Best buds hanging by the pool in Charlottesville, VA.

DSC_0005We saw a DOLPHIN! post card the first day and knew we had to send it to Anderson. My parents used to send us postcards and I loved it. Anderson carried this postcard around (and slept with it) for four days. Then it ripped. We taped it and he’s carrying it around again. I think it was a hit.

*Pina Coladas. Harley’s a little obsessed.

DSC_0173

FlOrIdA fAiLs

*Getting sunburned the first day. What? ME!? Why???? Oh yeah, because it was 100% cloudy the first day. We couldn’t find the sun. It was windy. Our skin never felt warm. So, like idiots, we thought we were safe, didn’t apply anything, then proceeded to fall asleep poolside. How many times has this exact circumstance burned (literally) me in the past? How many times has my mother warned “you can get burned on a cloudy day…” When will I learn?! SO stupid.

The story gets better. Harley insisted we carry on luggage to avoid paying $50 to check our bags. I insisted there was no way all our liquids would fit in 3 oz. containers in a 1 qt. bag. I was most worried about sun block since I had every responsible intention of going through an entire bottle. We fought. He promised we could buy sun block there. I worried a CVS wouldn’t be within walking distance. We fought more. He won. I spent two messy hours sitting on the bathroom floor squirting, squeezing and funneling all our liquids -- except sun block because I trusted him we’d find it down there -- into tiny bottles. I did it! I fit it all! We carried on! We found sun block in the hotel gift shop right away! Then we didn’t use it and we fried. I’m sure we’ll laugh about it someday. For the record, we plastered ourselves at least twice a day the rest of our stay and used every last drop in that gift shop tube. Harley’s daily goal: “not get molested by the sun.”

DSC_0001I was so proud of those silly little bottles.

DSC_0009Pre The Burning. I’m now using my chest in this picture to teach Anderson the color WHITE.

DSC_0085Post The Burning. This pic is not great and doesn’t show my burned side but look at poor Harley’s neck!

*Being 7 months pregnant on vacation. Guess what? Not so great! I would have given anything to stretch out on my stomach or lie flat on my back in the sun.

DSC_0112Oh dear beach chairs. My belly thanks you!

DSC_0150 DSC_0109

7 months pregnant 7 months sympathetic

DSC_0049Sun burned and bellied.

*Naming our baby. We tried. Oh how we tried. It didn’t happen.

Now we’re home. Honeymoon=over. Skin=peeling. Reunion with Anderson=awesome. Vacation bitterness=gone. Pretty darn happy=yep. DSC_0053

24 comments:

Ming said...

Oh where to begin...SO fun! I'm thrilled you two FINALLY took a VACATION together. It's been LONG coming. I love that Harley suggested a museum..classic. I love all the reading and eating and relaxing. Jealous. I love the red lips pre-burn pic. Gorgeous. Can't wait to hear ALL the deets.

Crystal said...

Jake and I have yet to take a vacation that did not focus around seeing other people or attending an even since February of 2005. Even then it was just a quick weekend to Jackson Hole. We did the relax by the beach thing for a 7 day honeymoon and have been dying to get back. You are smart to go for it pregnant and all. I wish I could be as determined to get us on vacation.

Jen said...

What a fabulous trip! Glad you got to go before little Baby #2 comes along.

Jessica Taggart said...

The reason you never vacation/trip alone is because you are so damn fun! I miss you!

Mike said...

So glad you had fun and are learning to relax and vacation. My favorite thing to do on a trip: "day at sea".

I am extremely impressed that you could be in Hollywood "East coast of Florida" and "watch the sun set over the ocean". Please teach me that trick.

Love Dad

Kaija said...

Way to treat yourselves right! You are one wonderfully stylish woman in her third trimester! That last photo is especially beautiful -- and I LOVE the yellow cover-up!!!

Carter said...

Cuddle up in bed, rinse, repeat? TMI.

Carter said...

Just kidding. Sounds like a blast. We're looking to a trip of our own later this year...

Holly said...

This made me NEED the beach, and a vacation! How fun for you guys. And, I am so impressed with that picture of you jumping at 7 months pregnant!

Mom said...

LOVE THE ORANGE BAG! Orange is my new favorite color. So glad you took the vacation and had such a good time.

Ligia said...

Love all your cute outfits and love that you had the greatest time on the much anticipated true vacation!! Kinda makes me wanna go on another vacation myself. And the orange bag - aren't you glad you ended up keeping it?! (wink, wink!)

Kara said...

So fantastically fun. I am 100% impressed with all the photo documenting you two do; you put us all to shame. Glad you finally got your vacation :)

Harley King said...

@Mike You're right. No setting suns. And I kind of needed a day at sea after day two but I didn't know how to tell Wendy.

@Carter I make Wendy write blog posts so I can read your comments.

Sarah S said...

awesome pictures!!! those kind of trips go a LONG way. I'm so glad you got a fabulous vacation before baby #2 arrives.

Brittany said...

Oh I just LOVE all of your posts! I am so happy for you... it is oh so true, once the kiddos come the time to get away sans kids is nearly impossible! I'm so glad you seized the opportunity and had a blast, sunburn and all! Maybe someday I will get to do the same. Congrats on the much needed getaway! :) BTW you look FABULOUS 7 months prego! :)

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

We had so much fun with your bug. Glad you had a good time. Can't wait to watch him again. You look great in all my clothes.

lys said...

Jealous. That's all I can say.


Well, and I love the picture of you holding your belly while reading. You look gorgeous. I would frame it.

Joo Lin said...

Looks like a ton of fun! I'm glad you're doing so well. I echo the other comments - you look so fabulous 7 months preggers! Yay for great hubbies!

Kelley said...

Fun post W2K! Horray that you had the vacation you guys were hoping for! You look beautiful pregnant. Little Anderson is getting big. Seriously, he looks like a little boy and not a baby anymore. He is such a darling little guy. I started "Guernsey" on the plane a few weeks ago and have loved it so far.
Enjoy your last few months of being pregnant! Oh, I just remembered that we may be coming out to D.C. soon for a quick trip. I'll e-mail you with details. XOXO for you and your cute family!

Rachel said...

yay!!! Gorgeous. I am happy to say I did not get burned until my LAST day in Florida, and now I am SO SUNBURNED and I hate being sunburned! But so worth it. Can't wait to swam Florida stories--so glad you got to go. And you are the HOTTEST 7 month pregnant woman in a swimming suit. Seriously. Too hot!

anna banana said...

Those are so needed and so necessary. Such an important part of marriage is time together with no one else! So glad you did it!

Suzette Selden said...

How fun!!! I'm so happy you got to getaway together. Those are the best vacations... just you and your hubbie. Unfortunately they always seem to be few and far between. You look beautiful by the way!

Rob said...

Vacation=Life in Yuma.
You're welcome to come out any time.
Trips rule!

jaredandmatisse said...

Wendy, you look incredible!