Monday, February 1, 2010

Welcome February

I know, it's been awhile.

I blame the first part of my blog hiatus on traveling. But that excuse only goes so far since I've been back since January 14th. I blame the last two+ weeks of nada on this blog on my funk. That's right, I've been in a first class, winter depression, bliggidy-blah, yucky-funky funk. Elch. Let's look at the facts:

*It's 16 degrees outside with 8 inches of snow on the ground. I know it gets darker earlier everywhere, but I swear outside my window it happens at 3:30PM.

*Anderson got a bad cold, then I got it worse. It wiped me out for an entire week. Awful.

*I'm STILL suffering from first trimester symptoms (nausea, lightheadedness, exhaustion) even though I'm well into the second trimester (17 1/2 weeks). That bugs. Oh and I'm feeling really fat.

*Anderson broke my phone. At first it was liberating, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff I got done. Eight days later it was just frustrating. And lonely. (On the upside, it's amazing how much one can accomplish via g-chat. I committed to babysit Lincoln for two weeks in March and April. I convinced Jessica to buy a one way plane ticket to DC in June. I got about 10% caught up on life with Mindy.) AT&T did not make it easy, but I finally got a new phone Thursday. However, it's still not fully functioning because none of my phone numbers transferred. Guess how I spent the Grammy's? Typing in names and phone numbers one by one. Where is a 14-year-old with mad texting skills when I need her? It took me FOREVER. And I only got through P. And I'm still missing a bunch of numbers.

*Six hours after receiving my new phone our internet mysteriously went down. Of course it was Comcast's fault, even though they wouldn't admit it and actually tried to tell us we hadn't paid our bill. Fortunately that drama lasted only 1/2 a day. Amazing how long I could tolerate not having a phone, but a few hours with no internet was nearly killing me.

*Harley started his third job. Now we really never see him. We also rarely get the car.

Are you getting a mental picture? Me, Anderson and a bunch of snotty tissues, trapped in a freezing apartment with no way to contact the outside world. It was, well... not so fabulous.

To top it off, I lost my will to blog. I don't know if I'm too overwhelmed with the millions of pictures to sort through, too daunted by the thought of trying to recap it all or if the funk has just plain zapped all my creative juices and made me feel incredibly boring and uninspired. I think it's pretty much that last part.

I'm blogging today to purge the funk. So there. It's out there. You know where I've been, and where I don't want to be anymore. I think there is hope. My cold is almost gone. Anderson is 100% better (and, it must be said, is cuter and funnier and more verbal than ever). It's still freezing, and we have no car nor alpha male. But I have a phone and the internet.

And it's February.

Peace out January. Goodbye funk.

Here's to hoping blogging begets blogging.

23 comments:

Harley King said...

I hope you got this Alpha Male's phone number.

Kelly D. said...

I'm with you--those last couple weeks in January were NOT ones I would care to repeat. I'm glad your phone situation is fixed and that Anderson is better.

Hmm, maybe you are having a girl this time! That can make you sicker (although I wouldn't know the difference!). Either way, I hope you feel MUCH better fast!

Wishing you the best February ever!

Rachel said...

I'm sad my girl crush is in a funk! I had the thought that I should go see you this past weekend, but then it SNOWED. I adore you, and want to see you often and soon. ;)

Wein said...

I'm sorry january was so funky. I'd love to chat with you soon. I got a text from dad today though(insert gasp here)saying we are out of mins...until next bill- happy feb!

Codi said...

This sounds like me only last year, spring could not come soon enough! And Cocoa Krispies in whole milk that is as cold as it can be before it freezes... almost like a chocolate shake and my favorite late night snack.

Hope February is better all around!

Logical Libby said...

Everyone has been in a funk lately. I don't know what it is. Ryan and I had a fight the other night about who was secretly mad at who.

Yeah, that makes sense.

carter said...

You are more alpha-male than I will ever be.

anna banana said...

Pregnancy can be one big funk! You are on your way out I am sure. Best of luck getting back into the blog, I know I have missed you!

Claudia said...

Glad you are back! I think January is one big funk for just about everyone. We need spring (and something to soothe the coming-down-from-the-holidays blues).

Ali Snow said...

I feel like I haven't talked/heard from you in forev but normally your blog keeps me posted. Glad to know what's been going on. I'd love to chat now that you have a phone...maybe some evening this week? Let me know.

Ming said...

Yeah, in my opinion the only good thing about January is the MLK holiday but Jeff didn't even get that day off this year. LAME. Good bye January, hello February! Here's to V-day (b-day), Pres. day and a SHORT month. It'll be March before we know it. Then bring on the sunshine!

Can't wait to see the Utah updates on the blog...(I figure if I say it maybe you'll have to post it. ;))

Ming said...

Oh PS...after you told me about the whole milk with the Krispies a while back I totally tried it one night when we were out of skim milk. Yeah, love it. Wouldn't eat it everyday, but a fabulous snack! I taught Jeff and now he loves it too. No surprise though since he'd drink 2% if I bought it.

Kaija said...

Goodbye funk! What are Harley's three jobs?

Lauren F. said...

Goodbye funk? Are you writing us off? Play date/Mommy date soon?

Brittany said...

I think January is a hard month to get through. It's long, still cold, and everyone is still recovering from the holidays! I'm glad you're back 2 blogging, i've missed ya! :)

Sarah S said...

I hate winter, but somehow February makes it seem like we're over the hump with winter. Spring isn't THAT far around the corner, especially in your neck of the woods. Chicago's winter will last for three more months, but yours won't be that long. :)

I'm sorry you've been in such a funk. I think all of the reasons you mentioned definitely warrant a funk. I hope February treats you more kindly. And that you enjoy some grapefruit, my preggie friend! I still have it every morning, and I'm not pregnant. Mmmmm mmmm delicious. Hang in there!! Can't wait to see you in a few months.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Sarah's comment really mad me want grapefruit. I think choco puffs are sicko. I'm sad for your funk and completely validate. YOu're past two weeks have been miserable. Boo. I hope it's 70 degrees when you watch my bug so you can all go to the park. If life stays boring your always welcome to trot down to C-ville for a few days :)

Holly said...

My funk was during the first part of my pregnancy too. I think being pregnant zaps all brain power, normal functioning, and creativity! I'm still functioning on low brain power though, I just told my son to put my daughter's sippy cup in the trash. I meant to say fridge...

Hoping your funk fades away soon. :)

Mom said...

Welcome back, I've missed you.

marti said...

I'm right there with you - sometimes I'm in the mood to blog, but lately I'm really not. At least we are as far away from January as we can possibly be! It can only get better from here!

Ligia said...

January Shmanuary! What a "blah" month. I'm with you sista. Glad you're welcoming feb. with open arms.

jaredandmatisse said...

Ok, you know your cocoa crispy and whole milk cravings? I have had the same thing. I bought some "organic skim milk" for healthy Jared (I never drink milk becasue it doesn't really agree with my stomach). I had a craving for cereal one nigh and I open the "Organic skim milk" and had some with some "vanilla and chocolate Bunny Love" cereal. As I ate I kept thinking "organic milk is way better then normal milk". The next day Jared complained the Organic Skim Milk must have been labed incorrectly because it tasted like cream to him. I guess our little babies like the whole milk best.

Alex and Katie said...

Wendy! You get more comments than any blog I have ever seen before. Sorry you were in a funk. I hate funks. And sorry Maryland all of a sudden turned into the climate of north Greenland! And Oregon was sunny yesterday. Funks all around.

Miss you.