Sunday, November 8, 2009

GIVING THANKS: Friends & Family

Anyone else feel like my Utah Staycation/BFF World Tour Summer 2009 was a long time ago?  Are you over hearing about it?  I’m kind of over blogging about it.  But then that small (big?) OCD part of me compels me to finish what I started.  So I am.  In one final whopper of a post.  I shall get away with posting it so late by putting a Thanksgiving spin on it.  Which works because I am, oh so thankful.

I couldn’t be more grateful for my loving family and my amazing friends.  On my last Sunday in Utah the Relief Society lesson was on friendship:  “How Glorious are Faithful, Just and True Friends.”  It was the perfect way to end my trip which was, of course, filled with cherished friends.    You know the kind.  The release the pause button kind.  The kind best described in a quote shared in the lesson:  “Each time I see you, all time melts away, precious moments come flooding back and I am reminded of the joy and laughter we have shared over the years.”  It may sound cheesy but that’s how I feel about these friends.

DSC_0470 My Utah Divas:  Kelly (with Tessa), Nicole & me.  Proudly keeping Cafe Rio in business since 2002.  We may or may not have overstayed our welcome this particular night.  When they turn the chairs upside down on the tables is that a sign it’s time to go?

DSC_0537  Childhood bestie:  Haley.  She & her husband, Matt, successfully got us hooked on Shark Tank, Blokus and Kid to Kid in one night.  In true Haley form, she asked me all kinds of bold questions most people avoid.  I love her for it.

DSC_0961

Half of Harley’s high school best friends.  Kirk (& Kaija), Harley (& me), and Mark (& Kate).  Good food, good laughs, good reconnecting.

park4

 Alyssa (Britain’s head) & me.  When you visit Alyssa you can expect a delicious, themed meal, thoughtful take-home treats and a genuine display of interest in your child, your husband and your life.  She’s great like that.

 

DSC_0424-1 

Anderson and I stopped in Denver on the way back to DC to visit some of our very best friends, The Linds.  Jack and Anderson have been best buds since birth.  I love watching them interact and (kind of) grow up together.  Mindy and I had a pretty great time reuniting (again… spoiled, I know) too.  Life goal:  Make Mindy my next door neighbor.  That way Anderson and Jack can really grow up together.  And I can have Mindy in my life every day.  Happiness!

DSC_0440-1 DSC_0449-1 DSC_0503

DSC_0514-1

Let’s not forget who Anderson really comes to Denver to see.

 

DSC_0526

While in Denver I got to spend time with my old roommate Kelley and her darling family.  Talk about reconnecting.   We hadn’t seen each other in seven years.  From the way we talked, shared and understood each other, you’d never know it.

DSC_0534-1

 

"They shall not want a friend while I live. My heart shall love those, and my hands shall toil for those who love and toil for me and shall ever be found faithful to my friends."

-Joseph Smith

 

While we LOVE our friends, family is, of course,  the big reason we staycation in Utah.  Sprinkled throughout our 39 days were many happy moments shared with the people I care for most.  There are no words to express how much I love my family.  But there are pictures.  Oh there are pictures.

DSC_0385-1  Aunts Lisa, Ali & Cheryl with Anderson.  I love how much my sisters love my child.

DSC_0501Aunt Lisa with Lincoln, Uncle Tom with Anderson

DSC_0447DSC_0551 DSC_0554

DSC_0980

DSC_0695 DSC_0315-1

     DSC_0320-1DSC_0324-1

My family struggles with many things.  Cooking is one example.  Most of us are horrible at it.  But we are fantastic at laughing.  Especially the girls.   ESPECIALLY my Mom.  You get us all together and it’s one big giggle fest.

DSC_0331-1 DSC_0338-1
We are crazy about the newest member of the family:  Lincoln.

DSC_0359-1

 Ali & Jonathan’s new home in Lehi.  SO proud of them.

 

In some ways it feels like we were just home.  In other ways I can’t wait to go home again.  I don’t think I’m the only one.  DSC_0031                                  That is the face of a man excited to see his peeps.

 

See you at Christmas everyone!

Note the special edition Fabulous Right Then:  Utah Favorites on the left.

10 comments:

Ali Snow said...

Sweet, first comment. It was so fun to have you guys come out and for so long. I can't WAIT for Christmas but again, bummed that I will be working the majority of your Utah visit.

lys said...

Yes, I made your blog! I feel really cool. I can't wait until next month when you are here again. I'm scheduling early and scheduling often-- just so you know!

Wein said...

love the cooking picture. i miss giggling with you :)

Ming said...

So glad your OCD made you do this final post....I've been waiting! Love it. LOVE the pic of Anderson & Marzi...SO funny. Love the last pic of Anderson on the plane...SO cute! Not gonna lie this post made me sad I won't be a part of your Christmas visit this year, but that's what happens when you spoil someone...they get greedy!!! I just love & miss you.

Sarah S said...

Fun post!! I think it's fun seeing all that you did on your world tour. It also makes me miss the carefree days of traveling with one child. Not that it's easy with one - but it's much cheaper. :)

Mom said...

I'm thankful for you!

Nicole said...

Please hurry back. Cafe Rio is awaiting our arrival. I know the Riz is grateful for your staycations. I am looking forward to seeing you soon!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Love your fabulouses right now. Glad you love Anders hair finally. I felt pretty bad when you where initially crying about it. Love the names on Grammy's wall.

That last pic of Anders is the cutest!! I didn't realize how chubby I was that whole trip. Yucko pics of me. Tell me it's gotten better since then.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy ... Thanks for the pix. Do you know that in the picture of you holding Linc you look just like your grandma when she was your age.
love ... Dad

Harley King said...

I'm grateful too.

Friends and fam. Does it get better?