Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Tricks

Hooray for Halloween!  We’ve had loads of fun spooking and scaring this year.  Harley and I decided to throw a party and we (read I) had a fantastic time planning, shopping and decorating for it.  I may have enjoyed the prep more than the party itself.  I just love that stuff. 

I sent out the invitations.  Bless you evite for simplifying my life.

invite

We haunted our apartment.  It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.  It helps that our place is so small.  Plus our neighborhood is already terrifying, so we’ve got that going for us.

DSC_0174

DSC_0211Candles & cobwebs=classic, creepy and cheap.

DSC_0169 

DSC_0172 DSC_0178

DSC_0222

DSC_0212Harley borrowed a projector from the lab, hooked it up to YouTube and played Thriller on the wall.  It was big.  It looped all night long.  Huge hit.

DSC_0165 I learned from a great hostess to continue the party theme into the bathroom.  (Why not, right?)  So I added a candle and candy-filled pumpkin to the sink.

 

Of course there were treats.  I asked Maryland Mummies to bring a salty snack and Virginia Vampires to bring a sweet treat.  I filled mini caldrons (won years ago at a party given by the Halloween Master) with candy, stashed fun-size candy bars here and there and made eyeball cupcakes.  I am pretty dang proud of those eyeball cupcakes.

DSC_0184 DSC_0200

DSC_0209

DSC_0139 

DSC_0144   

 

It pays to marry a mad scientist.  Not only do we have access to projectors, but also to beakers and dry ice.   Perfect for decorating and for drinking.DSC_0180

DSC_0216

DSC_0236

 

It’s party time.   The guests arrived dressed to kill.

DSC_0189

DSC_0267

Matt & Ligia:  Sheriff & Pocahontas  (Pocahontas won best costume.)

DSC_0271

Maricel & Adam:  Witch & Dracula

DSC_0276

 Eric:  Tin Man

DSC_0279

  Krysta:  Pregnant Vampire

DSC_0287

Harley & Me:  Munchkin & Dorothy

DSC_0281

The Wizard of Oz Family

DSC_0291

 

We had a costume parade, read Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven, played The Horror-ible Truth (a game where players identify the real horror movie titles from the fake ones) and wrote our own obituaries.  When all that crazy fun was over, I handed out party favors.

DSC_0147

DSC_0150  

 

Monday night we joined friends and carved pumpkins.  Harley carved.  Anderson colored.  I collected the insides to make a favorite fall treat.

DSC_0294 DSC_0297 DSC_0302  DSC_0306DSC_0316 Front Side

DSC_0317 Back Side

DSC_0321 DSC_0323Can you find Harley?  Go ahead, blow up the photo and play Where’s Waldo.

 DSC_0326

 

Last night we attended the ward Halloween party.  Our costumes made a little more sense once Anderson joined us as Toto.  This is the same costume Cheryl wore when she was 2 years old.  I was Dorothy that year too, my  mom was the Wicked Witch and my 6’7 dad was a munchkin.  We thought Harley should be a munchkin just like my dad.  Only the joke is a little different.   Anderson’s zipper broke 10 minutes before the party started which explains the series of glaring safety pins down his chest.

DSC_0053-1

DSC_0029-1  DSC_0027-1DSC_0013-1  DSC_0051-1

 

This afternoon we’re taking Toto to a Family Halloween Party at the University of Maryland.  Tonight we head to Charlottesville for a weekend of pumpkin patching, trick or treating and baby blessing (Lincoln’s).  I love this holiday!

 

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

17 comments:

lys said...

Love your entire post! Your attention-to-detail pictures remind me of why I love you so!

Codi said...

Love it all, but my favorites are...

Anderson as Toto (of course)
The Beakers (I want a set of my own)
Harley's slippers (I was rolling)

DC Diva said...

Half of Harley's costume may or may not have come from my closet.

I couldn't get him to repeat the silver slippers. He would NOT. Hence, his brown dress shoes at the ward party. I ask you, which is more munchkin?

Ming said...

I'm actually going to have to side with Harley on this one. The silver ballet flats made him look more gay than munchkin :) Love the get up though! The whole family looks fabulous!

The party is awesome! Way to go!! As I already told you my faves:
- bubbling beakers (Harley, if you're not married to a mad scientist where can you purchase these? I'm serious.)
- Thriller looping all night
- Eyeball cupcakes...you did a fantastic job! You're not as kitchen retarded as you think you are. You just don't try...the whole having interest thing. We've discussed.

Yea for a fabulous bash!

I did blow up and play Where's Harley & I found him. Behind the fence! Now what do I win?

I'm so glad you are having a fantastic Halloween season. Because of all the snow we've gotten over the past 2 days our ward Halloween Trunk or Treat & the Highlands Ranch big Halloween bash have both been canceled. Lame. Looking forward to Halloween though.

PS are those your new boyfriend jeans in the pumpkin carving pics? Cute! I need me some :)
PSS you look fantastic in those pumpkin carving pics. Your face, your outfit. Fabulous! You're a babe!
PPSS This comment is getting ridiculously long. I'm out.

becky said...

Okay, I'm SOOOOO crying now -- why do I have to live in Utah and miss the wonderfulness that is Wendy W. King and her party planning genius?!?!

Enough about my sorrow -- this party was perfect, down to every detail! I looooove the decor and that you looped MJ's Thriller ALL NIGHT! The food was perfect, your costumes were amazing (Harley in YOUR silver flats = divine). Your bathroom decorating was fab. :) EVERYTHING!

Seriously, I can't wait until the day when we are neighbors/co-party-throwers.

xoxoxoxo

Sarah S said...

You are FABULOUS!! What a fun post. I love your place, spooky and non-spooky, it looks so great. And your costume choices are hilarious.

You guys know how to throw a pretty fantastic party. I loved all the pictures and details. So FUN!!

Tami H. said...

I too was ROLLING at the pic of Harley in his munchkin gettup.
- the silver flats
- the great expression
- your red belt
- his posture
LOVED IT! and all your pics and post. Anderson is getting so dang cute. Not that he wasn't before. I too noticed the very cute jeans in the halloween pic, and yes, you are a total babe in those pics.

Logical Libby said...

Your Halloween party kicked my Halloween party's butt. You are the hostess with the mostess.

jaredandmatisse said...

What a fabulous party! You are a professional party planning Diva! I wish I could have come.

anna banana said...

I need to get my act together and just throw parties more. I have the ideas, I know I could do it but do I...no. You inspire me, and your costumes were darling!

Rebecca Ann said...

you have a lot in common with my mom.

Harley has a lot in common with... i'm at a loss for words. Elvis?

Wein said...

Your apartment looks so good!!!!

Brittany said...

Seriously you are the hostess with the mostess! What a fabulous party! Wow Miss Wendy... you give serious attention to detail! Love it! Wish I could come! :)

Ligia said...

Little Toto SO completes the family outfit. adorable!! and we sure did miss you guys "tricky treating." Pencil us in for next year!!

Mike said...

I am clearly no longer the cutest munchking in the family. Great pictures. Great party. Thanks for sharing.
Love DAd

Alex and Katie said...

Wendy

LOVED THIS! I wish I could live close to you and go to your parties.

I can't BELIEVE how big Anderson is getting

Marie Davies said...

Harley takes the funniest pictures of all time.