Thursday, July 23, 2009

Three Things That Make My Life Easier: Chapter 3


My kid is MESSY. Some days it seems I spend the entire day on my hands and knees sweeping... mopping... scrubbing the kitchen floor. Anderson is getting better, but there was a time when he loved to experience his food. And by experience I mean squish, squash, smear all food in his hands, then give himself a full body massage, starting with his head. I give you a taste of some of our messier moments.




I am a pretty clean person. Messy baby + clean Diva = not compatible. I know it's the toddler phase. Moreover, I know it's my new stage in life. I have consigned to put up with it. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I can't do things to significantly curb the mealtime mess. Thus, I give you:

Three Things that Make My Life Easier: Baby/Toddler Feeding Edition


1. Bibbity Rinse and Roll Bib from Kiddopotamus
(the same geniuses behind the
SwaddleMe)


Just look at this bib, people. It's rubber, so it's 100% waterproof, stain-proof, gunk-proof, stick-proof. When Anderson finishes eating, I run it under the faucet and hang it upside down to dry. Period. No washing, no scrubbing, no food still stuck in the cloth/embroidery/velcro/etc. even after you "clean" it. There are a lot of plastic (easier than cloth, right?) bibs out there, but many of them have cloth edges. The Bibbity is 100% easy-to-clean material and looks as good as it did the day I bought it. It's soft and flexible (unlike many plastic bibs), so it keeps its shape. It's comfortable for Anderson and has an adjustable neck so he can supposedly wear it until he is four.

As if sooo easy to clean wasn't enough, the other great feature is the huge scoop. It doesn't catch everything (how can it when my child is intentionally dropping and at times throwing food?), but it catches A LOT. I simply empty the scoop into the trash, and it's that much less food I have to sweep.

All that stir-fry caught in the bib, not the pants.

The scoop is dual amazing because you can roll the bib up into it. See?


Genius! Easy to store, easy to travel. I keep one at home and one in the diaper bag. LOVE IT. I get just about as many compliments on Anderson's bib as I do on Anderson's cuteness. (And I get a lot of compliments on his cuteness...)


2-pack available at Walmart for $9.87. (Babies R Us carries them too. I know because I bought mine there. However, they are mysteriously no where to be found on their website at this time...)


2. Ikea High Chair



Chair=$19.99, Tray=$5.00

I stressed about which high chair to buy. So many options. So expensive. Then Mindy pointed me to the greatest high chair in the world. And it was $25. Not only is this high chair exceptionally affordable, but once again we're talking 100% plastic, aka 100% easy to clean. Everything wipes down with a wet rag. The tray snaps off, and after a once over in the sink, it's spotless. (I've never tried, but since it is plastic you could probably throw the tray in the dishwasher.) It was uber easy to assemble. It is small and stores under my counter. I'm so in love with this high chair I've traveled with it. I remove the tray and stick the chair (legs in tact) behind the driver's seat of the car and go. If I need more luggage space, I remove the legs and it takes up less room than Anderson. It comes in blue and red, but I love the universal match-everything white. I never understood why people buy expensive, massive, La-Z-Boy recliners with big pads and cushions just begging to collect chunks and grime. I've used these high chairs, and I think they are a nightmare to clean and keep looking good. I am SO happy with my cheap, clean, EASY high chair.

Guess where all that rice is going? It's slipping right off the tray and into the sink.


3. TinyDiner Portable Placemat from Kiddopotamus
(They should start paying me, huh?)



Anderson was 5 weeks old when I saw Janae use this brilliant invention with her daughter Danielle at a restaurant. We were months away from table foods, but I ran out and bought the TinyDiner the next day. It's a portable placemat that sticks to the table. No dirty tabletop. No plates asking to be knocked to the floor. The food goes right on the mat. Remember that marvelous scoop on the bib? It's back, catching food again before it hits the floor. This placemat is made of the same 100% wipeable, 100% waterproof, 100% awesomeness rubber as the bib. I remember sitting in awe as Janae picked up the placemat, dusted the food onto her plate, dipped a cloth napkin into her water, wiped down the mat and was done! And just like the bib, the mat rolls into the scoop and slides right into the diaper bag.

Babies R Us $10.99. Walmart $10.88


Don't settle for mess, my friends. Go clean, compact, affordable... EASY!


More things that make my life easier here and here.

16 comments:

Wein said...

remember how you studied advertising...they taught you well

Logical Libby said...

Meg is far away from eating anything that resembles real food, but I am still buying that placemat TODAY!

Kaija said...

oh how i love your advice! i am going to be so prepared when the stork brings me a child!

Ming said...

Amen sister. AMEN!

Harley King said...

Love those bibs and highchair.

Missy said...

Great tips, thank you!

anna banana said...

I think I will buy all three things! I just got rid of my huge annoying ugly high chair. Hated it! :)

Ali Snow said...

Is it just my computer? A lot of your pictures didn't come through
:( Good thing I've seen almost all the products in action and know just what you're talking about.

Jill said...

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE our Ikea highchair.

lys said...

I will always be impressed that Anderson will keep a bib on. That bib sure looks amazing, but fat chance Stratton would keep it on.

marti said...

I love that Anderson is a few months older than Andrew so I can steal all your baby tips & tricks! I'm going to go buy those Kiddopotomos bibs tomorrow - we've been using bumpkins, but they just don't cut it! Thanks for the product reviews!

Tami H. said...

Wendy, why do I have 2 kids, the youngest being 12 mos, and I have NEVER seen anyone use these items, never discussed them, period. That placemat is ingenious, simple, but ingenious. I will be getting one within the week.

Holly said...

Sold! On everything!

When Trevan was that age he had a bath EVERY day for all of those very same reasons.

The Knisley's said...

So cool! Man- when I FINALLY have kids- I'm gonna have to go to the Divas for some up-to-date baby gadgets. I'm all about convenience.

I concur with your advertising skills. I don't even have a baby and I want these.

Cristi said...

OK...the rice photo is my favorite!! You do need to get paid for advertising!!

becky said...

You are such a supermom! I love you (and I love Anderson with that irresistible face, even when messy).