Friday, May 29, 2009

2 Degrees Down, 1 To Go

 

HATS OFF TO THE GRAD!!!

DSC_0137-1

 

We did it!  Harley graduated with a dual graduate degree from Johns Hopkins University Friday.  Do we look thrilled?  We are!  We’ll be even more thrilled in three years when he graduates for the last time.  All these schools and degrees get a little confusing (and eternal), I know.  Harley did JHU’s 3 year program in 2 years and therefore completed his coursework last May.  (Meantime we moved from Gaithersburg to Bladensburg and started a PhD program at the University of Maryland.)  Last week Harley went back to JHU to walk with his class.  At first it felt a little strange since we’ve been “done” with JHU for a year, and Harley never attended class at the home campus in Baltimore (he attended a satellite campus in Rockville).  But it didn’t take long for us (read: me) to get swept away in the pomp and circumstance of the day.  I’m just so proud of Harley.  He was 1 of 19 graduates receiving a Masters of Science in Biotechnology/Masters of Business Administration.  He’s worked really hard and both degrees are well deserved.  We had the perfect day celebrating him, his dedication and his sacrifice.

 

DSC_0115

        

DSC_0130-1DSC_0095

DSC_0057-1DSC_0052-1

DSC_0104

DSC_0145-1DSC_0142-1

DSC_0091    DSC_0086-1DSC_0077-1DSC_0083-1

 DSC_0072-1

I was so proud of Harley I made these crafty cupcakes.  This is pretty much the craftiest thing I’ve done in the kitchen.  Ever.  Be impressed people.

DSC_0030-1  DSC_0019-2 DSC_0022-2

Hopefully we will be celebrating a PhD from the University of Maryland in May 2012 when Harley completes the 5-6 year program in 4 years.  Hopefully.  ;)

25 comments:

Dolphinsbarn said...

Is it wrong that I wanna shove those cupcakes into every single one of my orifices?

Congratulations Harley! You're extremely educated and dashing. Lethal combo in the science world.

Claudia said...

Congratulations! What a great set of accomplishments - Harley on the degree and Wendy on the cupcakes!

Logical Libby said...

Those are excellent cupcakes -- especially for someone who doesn't bake!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

YEAH Harley!!!! Way to go! I'm so proud of you too :) I kinda of wish I would have gone to your graduation. Was I invited? I guess it's too late now. Love all the pics and cool new way of laying them out Wendy. Nice cupcakes too :)

Joe said...

Good work Harley, one of the smartest people I know, who, after another 4 years, will probably be qualified to to just . . . about . . . anything.

Lauren F. said...

Congrats Harley! Well deserved.But I think your wife might have upstaged you with those cupcakes. . .

Crystal said...

Woot Woot! Is Harley trying to be the most educated man we know or what! Way to go to the both of you, it takes dedication and sacrifice on both parts.

Kaija said...

CONGRATULATIONS! HARLEY ROCKS! And those cupcakes pretty much rock, Wendy! It looks like a wonderful celebration and I am really impressed at Harley's speed through these grad programs! I'm on the slow track...

Kaija said...

p.s. love that jumping photo! p.p.s. what are Theatrical Thursdays?

lys said...

Congrats, Harley! I just know that you'll be able to do the next degree in 4 years. For goodness sakes, you're smart enough! ;)

Great photos, Wendy. I love the ones with Anderson donning the mortarboard.

Szobonya Bercel said...

Good job Harley, congrats!! (and for your wife too... there's always an understanding and loving wife behind all success... :)

Emily said...

I am super impressed.

Congratulations! I love seeing the photos in these last few posts. You guys are awesome--I can't believe how much the both of you have been involved with these last few years.

Codi said...

Congrats! Love the cupcakes! Very creative!

Mom said...

I need to put on a bigger blouse because all my buttons are popping off. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU HARLEY!
Susie

Ming said...

Nice work H-train! You are a science god. Wendaline...the cupcakes are fab. Love you both!

Kelly D. said...

Congratulations to Harley! Yay!

Anderson looks awfully good in that cap :)

Becca said...

You go Harvey! That is awesome that you got your master's and keep it up with your PhD! Wendy, those cupcakes look great!

Harley King said...

Money, here we come.

Julie said...

I'm impressed with the cupcakes - especially after reading your "gourmet" chocolate chip story.
I also love the layout of your pics - how did you get that to happen?

Sarah S said...

HOORAYYYYYY!!! Congrats to both of you. And enjoy those PhD years - Ben and I say all the time that those years were the best, at least in terms of quality of life. And that degree and all of the time and sacrifice that goes with it is so worth it. Good job and I hope you're able to continue on your crazy fast path! I'm really impressed because I know it's not easy, especially with a wife and son and church and everything else life throws at you.

Sarah S said...

P.S. - And your cupcakes are AWESOME!!! Way to go Wendy!

anna banana said...

Congrats Harley! We are proud of you!

jaredandmatisse said...

Hail to the graduate!

Julie Broadbent said...

WOW! congrats Harley! Love the cupcakes!

Wein said...

LOVIN the cupcakes! what an accomplishment for Mr.King and how fun that Ed and Debbie came!!