Monday, April 20, 2009

Who Says That?

EXCHANGE #1 (positive)

Me: "Are *these shoes on sale?"

Sales Associate: "No, they're full price. But I can get you 11% off."

Me: "I don't want a Macy's card."

Associate: "No, I'll just give you 11% off."

Me: "Because...?"

Associate shrugs shoulders.


Me: "Because, I'm just lucky?"

Associate: "And your kid is cute."

Me: "Um... OKAY!"

*Shopping Success!! I finally found my much sought-after animal print flats. Best part: I used a gift card, so free for me!




EXCHANGE #2 (negative)

Mail Carrier (watching Anderson climb our building stairs): "He looks like a girl."

Me In My Head: What am I a supposed to say to that? Agree? Get defensive? Say "thanks"? How in any way do you think that's an okay thing to say? On what planet is that comment anything but rude??

Me Out Loud: Silence.

Mail Carrier: "You know, he really does."


*Editor's Note: Anderson couldn't be dressed more boy. He is wearing a navy blue and grey baseball-style shirt with denim overalls featuring patches of tools popping out of the pockets. (Admittedly, not our BEST outfit day. It's laundry day and a weird weather day. I am also "testing" the outfit to see if Anderson can make it cute.) Come to think of it, the outfit is probably how she knew he is, in fact, a boy. That's the thing that gets me. She KNEW... yet she proceeded to say out loud that she believed he looked otherwise. Babies (and some toddlers) are hard to identify gender-wise. I get that; I'm not offended if you THINK my kid is a girl. I'm sure I've made mistakes with other people's kids. But only in my head! NEVER, have I been confident of a gender, then decided to state the child's look appeared the opposite.


Me In My Head: You look like a female Randy Jackson pre-gastric bypass surgery.

Me Out Loud: "You think so, huh?"

Mail Carrier: "Oh yeah, especially the smile."


Yes, because of all things setting boys and girls apart, SMILES are the most distinguishable.

Sorry Anderson, I guess you "smile like a girl." Let's ditch our 'hood and go back to Macy's.

17 comments:

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

What a lame mail person!!! I can't believe that. Anderson does NOT look like a girl. He looks like the cutest little love bug boy in the world. I wish I would have been there to defend him, all though I think you handled it well. Can't wait to see the new shoes! ;)

Adam E. said...

Desi used to get mistaken for a girl occasionally, due to his lovely locks of curly brown hair. Dressing him boy stuff didn't work. They just called him a cute little tom-boy. (j/k)

Apparently he has grown out of that now, because I haven't heard anyone say it recently.

Wein said...

oh my funny!

Lisa Weiler said...

all of the sudden my name changed...

Kelly D. said...

I'm laughing out loud on this one. It never ceases to amaze me what people will allow to come out of their mouths. But I love that Anderson is 11% off cute!

Amanda said...

Seriously, he looks like a boy...and seriously, some people have no edit button in their head! But I agree, you handled it very well.

And, what a great discount! I never got cute kid discounts =(. oh well, now at least I know how to ask for them =).

Sarah S said...

crazy that your mail carrier would say that, when she knows she will see you again!! some people have zero filters. or sense.

Lauren F. said...

LOL. I wonder what he was expecting you to say back to him . . .

Kara said...

Could it have been worse? Could she have stated that you looked like a man? (Always look at the bright side)

Anderson is all boy- no worries. And a darn cute one at that.

p.s. LOVE the shoes. Let's set up a shopping date :)

lys said...

If it makes you feel any better, yesterday at the playground a woman kept calling Stratton "she" and "her." He was wearing a navy blue polo, madras shorts & sneakers. I'm not sure what about him looked like a girl. Ironically, she was a hefty woman too. Perhaps even looked a little like Randy Jackson. ;)

Jill said...

Your mail carrier experience is so awful it's hilarious. I get people thinking Alaina (and years ago, Liz) is a boy all the time despite dresses and the color pink. I mean, come on, not all baby girls have hair.

schwerwolf said...

Newman.

jaredandmatisse said...

What planet is that mail person from?

anna banana said...

I have to say I am laughing out loud at that, and I checked Andersons pictures on your blog again just to be sure, and I really dont think he looks like a girl...just for the record...

becky said...

LOL!

Firstly, love the shoes and the 11% discount. I know who I'm calling next time I decide to cheat on my shopping diet.

Secondly, WTF (what the french toast, thankyouverymuch)? Anderson does NOT look like a girl! And even so, that was rude. You should have made your AWESOME Randy Jackson comment aloud! I think the only acceptable response when people ask awkward questions/make awkward comments is to one up them in your response. Remind me to tell you my replies to why the Wickstroms have no kids!

P.S. I love you!

Suzette Selden said...

Macy's must be allowing discounts at random because I also went to get new sheets and was given 11% extra off (an odd percentage I thought). I thought it was my lucky day, or that the lady was just being extra nice (maybe we both got lucky). Anderson does not look like a girl.

Jessica Taggart said...

Randy Jackson had gastic bypass???