Friday, March 20, 2009

"Everything's Amazing, Nobody's Happy"

My husband loves technology. I like technology a lot. (I may not be the first on the block to jump on it, but that doesn't mean I'm not appreciating that it's out there.) It's incredible to look at the ways phones, cameras, computers, transportation, etc. have improved over the last 20, 10, even 5 years. The changes are so clear when you watch children. Anderson loves cell phones. He only knows cell phones. We don't have a land line. He may never know a land line. When you take a picture of a child, the child immediately wants to see the picture on the camera. To them, there is no such thing as waiting to finish the roll, getting it developed and seeing prints days, sometimes weeks, later. I love thinking about what used to be, where we are and where we are going. So does writer and comedian Louis CK. He's just much funnier than I am when he talks about it.

I dedicate this clip to my dad. The man who walked 10 miles to school, up hill, both ways, in the snow, every day, with no shoes... and believes my generation is spoiled. Happy Birthday Week Dad!

The best video version cannot be embedded. I embedded the mediocre version below. If you want the best, go directly to YouTube here.


10 comments:

Kaija said...

This is WONDERFUL Wendy,thanks so much for sharing. Wonderful how hishumor and comedy can really instill a sense of gratitude for what we have. I think the "waiting for it to come back from space" is my favorite part!

Ali Snow said...

Thanks for the shout out to the one who sent you the clip.

Mom said...

Dad says Thank you Wendy. He really enjoyed the clip but isn't up on technology enough to make his own comment.
Mom

Lisa said...

i miss you

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

AMEN!!! Seriously I completely agree with the guy. I wouldn't last a day living even a hundred years ago. The one that still blows my mind is the microwave. What would I eat? I would starve to death.

Ming said...

My mother-in-law sent this to me about a month ago and I thought it was great. Glad to see you liked it too!

Jill said...

Love that clip!

Kelly D. said...

Carter's been walking around quoting that clip for a month now! I especially love the bit about the airplane. So funny and so true!

Hayden and Kelly said...

Wendy and Harley! I don't know if you remember us... we lived at the Palladio just a couple months before you moved! We hope everything is going great and look at your adorable addition!!! Yea! He is so dang cute! What a little ham! By the way, we plan to name our next little boy Harley... ever since meeting you guys we fell in love with that name and it's next on the list :). hope all is well! Hayden and Kelly Behling

Brittany said...

K I loved that clip! It's oh so true! Loved the part about the phone and the sparks flying! Thanks for sharing... I just might have to copy you and post that on my blog! :)