Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rough Week

We're having a really bad week. Not only are we going through Great Schelp of '08 withdrawals (making us emotionally sick), but we are also physically sick. I mean really sick. It started with Anderson late Saturday night. He developed a nasty cough. The congestion, runny nose, sleepless nights, etc. followed. Then it hit me hard. Walloped me. I rarely get sick. I can't think of the last time I had a cold this bad. I've got it all: achy, weak, congestion, headache, cough, sinus pressure, sore throat... the works. My head feels like it weighs 1000 pounds, and I'm pretty sure I swallowed a tennis ball. The worst part is it doesn't seem to be going away and nothing, except maybe Fabulous Right Now #1 (see left hand column), seems to touch it. Anderson is actually doing much better, but my symptoms are just getting worse. It's so bad I canceled a phone date (no voice) and two play dates involving shopping. One of them was outlet mall shopping. That's really sick.

A silver lining of excitement (and mild panic): Anderson took his first step Tuesday. He's just shy of 10 months. He's not walking, but he definitely took his first, real, unsupported step. Right into my arms. It was great. But it was a one time show, yet to be repeated. Since then he's gone back to cruising like Vin Diesel on anything two feet tall. Last night his legs got ahead of his body and he smacked his eye on the corner of the coffee table and wound up with a little shiner. Ouch.

Sick and injured. That sucks.


Close up (mostly because I'm finally learning my camera's fancy features)

This kid knows what will make the pain go away.

Harley cheered him up with a little cookie making.


Then came this morning. I was resting in bed, trying to just breathe. Suddenly, there was a terrible, LOUD crash. I jumped up (and nearly fainted doing so), and ran to the bathroom to find the cabinet had collapsed to the floor, taking the towel rack down with it.




This is what the bathroom looked like before the Great Fall.


I don't think our landlord is going to be too thrilled with her new, beautiful cupboard in pieces on the floor. Things are touchy with her right now since we just resolved a minor standoff regarding two rent checks that were "lost in the mail." (In the end, it was her bad, but you hate to be those tenants who email these pictures the day after February's rent check is finally found and cashed.) Speaking of standoffs, for no apparent reason, our Comcast bill literally doubled this month. Looks like I have a few phone calls to make. I think I'll wait until tomorrow, when I can hopefully hear out of at least one of my ears.


Totally unrelated: I'm throwing in two feeling-better, pre-shiner Anderson pictures from lunch yesterday. The bottom face is just for Grammy.



14 comments:

Harley King said...

This past week you have been the Diva who don't.

Jessica Taggart said...

Get better my Wendeline!

Claudia said...

I claim it will all be better once spring gets here!

Ming said...

Man, rough week is right. Do you think you maybe have strep throat? You say it feels like you are swallowing a golf ball and it won't go away. Usually when you have a sore throat with a cold it goes a way after a day or two. You should look into that.

Too bad about the cabinet...it was really cute! I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa said...

bum dawg i'm so sorry. i love the grammy pict

Amanda said...

I HATE cold and flu season! I hate when babies are sick, and it's even worse when the mommy is sick too! I'm so sorry!
I always have a week of the blues when I get home from visiting family...it sucks. Anyway, I hope you all get to feeling better VERY soon!

Amanda said...

I forgot to say...
Love all the pictures - especially the scrunchy face one!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I'm so sad!!! I'm praying you miraculously get better today so I can still come visit this weekend. I feel so bad for you. At first when I saw the cabinet part I was afraid it fell on Anders. What a relief. Let me know what the doc. says today.

Sarah S said...

I hate Comcast. They always try to sneak stuff in like that! Good luck battling it out with them.

And I'm sorry you've been so sick - I know how hard it is to take care of a little guy when you can barely get out of bed! Hang in there!!

Codi said...

He is so stinkin cute! I hope everyone is doing much better real soon!

becky said...

Sorry about your rough week. I can relate to 100% of your symptoms -- especially the head that weighs 1,000 lbs. UGH! Cheers to robitussin.

Good thing you have that cute baby and hubby to take away some of the pain. :) Feel better soon!

Lauren said...

That is all so horrible! Maybe Anderson finally decided to take a step since his mom knocked herself out with drugs and he needs to fend for himself. Just a thought. Get better!

anna banana said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Emily said...

This is one of those posts, where, after having just read about your new church assignment, I couldn't help but laugh at your streak of bad luck. When I got to the cabinet crashing on the ground, I laughed out loud. Joe was like, "What's soooooo funny?" Oh, just Wendy's streak of bad luck. :) Hey, during my grandma's 90th b-day party when our whole family was together (only happens like once every 5 years or more) we were all vomitting for 24 hours. So I can laugh, I think I've earned the right. :0

Miss you!