Thursday, October 23, 2008

DC Tours Now Available: Flat Stanley Style

Once in awhile I want to be an elementary school teacher. Or maybe I just want to be in second grade again. Maybe I'm just excited for Anderson to be in second grade. In second grade you get to do a geography unit. And if your teacher is as cool as Mrs. Paige Smith at Fairway Elementary School, the unit involves Flat Stanley.


Flat Stanley visited us last week, courtesy of my 8-year-old cousin, Jason. We were tasked with showing Flat Stanley around town, taking him on an adventure or two, then returning him to Jason with pictures of his journey. Good thing we live in such a cool place! Jason, here is a preview of what Flat Stanley has been up to:


I now have more pictures of Flat Stanley than I have of Jason. Maybe that's because Jason lives in Missouri and is always sending me paper instead of himself. Jason, I think it's YOUR turn for a trip to DC.

Here is Jason with his sisters and his cousin at a family reunion two years ago. Notice the dirty sock Jason is holding over his cousin Heidi's shoulder. Notice how she doesn't seem to care. Just like Emily doesn't seem to care Jason is sitting on her legs.

Here is Jason at Tom's Homecoming last July. He's the one holding a rice krispie treat, waiting for Tom to give him an old mission tie.

Here's Jason telling Tom to sign it "with love"... still clutching that rice krispie treat.


If you are not family or an elementary school teacher you may not have appreciated this post. Here's the take away message to one and all: We Kings... we like to host and entertain. You come to the nation's capital via plane, car or bubbled envelope, and you too will get an up close and personal tour of DC, Flat Stanley style. It may or may not come with Flat Stanley's favorite part of the tour: an encounter with Metro Police. Participation in that part is entirely up to you.

15 comments:

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I love this post! My favorite part was your commentary on the pic of Jason and the dirty socks and crushed legs. I was laughing so hard! I didn't even notice those things just looking at the pic before reading your comment. Too funny. Looks like Stanely had a killer time with the kings!

JessK said...

What a cute elementary school project! How nice of you to show Flat Stanley a good time.

Harley King said...

Who knew FS was a bone fide 2nd grade project?

Lisa said...

i love flat stanley!!! my friend's little sister is in an elementary class in california and last weekend she sent him "flat jessica" to take around provo. we took flat jessica to the cabin and showed her the mountains and all the beauties of byu. i miss jason

Zach said...

You know .. If Flat Stanley wanted to come to Seattle, we could arrange that too

Sarah S said...

I love your Flat Stanley pics. I'm impressed the cop let you take his picture with him too...

Ali Snow said...

What a cute idea! I love it. He had to write you a letter and everything. You were good to get to all of those places for him. The worry with projects like that is some kids will do a great job, send it all over the country, and have so much fun with it and other kids will drop their flat stanely and note in a puddle on their way home from school and never even notice. And - I love the character Flat Stanely.

Rebecca Ann said...

Flat Stanley is so much cooler than me.

Emily said...

We're not as portable as Flat Stanley, but we're coming! So get ready!

Kelly Durham said...

Ooh, I can't wait for MY Flat Stanley tour of D.C.! He got to go every place I want to!

Linds and Ky said...

I wonder if Jason got to pick the name Flat Stanley. I wouldn't put it past him!

janaemadsen said...

I would like to sign up for a flat stanley tour.

Suzette Selden said...

that is such a cute idea. I love it. You are such a good sport to take Flat Stanley everywhere in DC!

Brittany said...

Wendy you seriously crack me up! I loved reading this post! Even the pictures of Stanley are perfect!

Chris Lake said...

I think Flat Stanley even looks like Jason...dimples and all!