Thursday, September 25, 2008

Your Vote has Never Been So Important

Harley King has undergone a transformation over the past five years. It happens to married men all the time. They go from GEEK to CHIC. Many people credit me with this metamorphosis. To the fashion industry, Harley and the people who have to look at him I say, "My pleasure."

I'm sorry... you never knew Harley in his fashionably challenged years? You want pictures showing his change in style?

Okay.

THEN



NOW



I'm pleased to say I've "helped" Harley part with MOST of his pre-marital wardrobe. He's been very grateful and is now the one to pull ME into Banana Republic. However, there is one item I just can't seem to sneak from his collection. Behold, THE FLAG SHIRT.



Maybe you need a closer look at this too wide, too short, tacky, UGLY piece of work.



You may be thinking, "Why don't you just steal it in the middle of the night and throw it away? Or conveniently "lose" it in the wash? He'll never notice." I've tried. Oh, how I've tried. Somehow no matter how many times that thing gets hidden, lost, trashed or even thrown overboard at Lake Powell (true story), it magically resurfaces. Harley says he likes this shirt because:

A) It makes him look good. (Please. Stand by for evidence to the contrary.)

B) It boasts the Hungarian flag. (It doesn't. I've checked. Armenia, yes. Shout out to his mission land, no.)

Finally, my favorite reason...

C) It matches all his swimsuits.

I guess I should be grateful with that last one. He doesn't wear it "out." Only swimming. Always for a week straight at Lake Powell.


I know. He looks happy. Dorky, but happy. The black eye I gave him when I found out he packed the flag shirt doesn't shake his grin. My readers, it has come to this. A blog vote. Harley and I cannot agree on whether the shirt should wave or die. It's up to you. You choose to keep it, we fly high and proud at Lake Powell. You give it the axe, it goes in the trash Monday morning. (Right, Harley?) You have all weekend to vote. Vote with a comment or in the poll at the top left of the blog. My fellow Americans, consider all the issues. Exercise your right. Rock the vote. (And keep this shirt out of closet!)

25 comments:

Harley King said...

oh, you know how I'm votin'.

Claire said...

I vote against the shirt! How funny! My blog is private, so send me your email if you want to see it.

Sarah S said...

I also voted to axe the shirt. Sorry Harley!

I will say - your current wardrobe is chic! You look great in those pictures - love the suit and the sweather outfits.

And I happen to know from staying with you years ago... Harley irons his shirts each week! Now that is impressive. I can't remember the last time Ben touched an iron (or me for that matter... should I be embarrassed, or just happy I buy clothes that don't need to be pressed?)

Codi said...

Scott had a Hawaiian shirt that he would not give up. He never wore it, but wanted to keep it in case we ever went to a luau. Come on! You know your cousin. He wouldn't wear a costume on Halloween let alone a Hawaiian shirt to a luau. It took me years to convince him to give it up. I feel for you!

Dolphinsbarn said...

I voted yes in the sidebar and I vote yes again (consider that two for the price of one). In fact, not only do I vote yes, but I vote yes to entering that shirt in the "church" rotation. No longer should the flag shirt be shamed in the "Lake Powell only" rotation.

Joe said...

I vote FOR the flag shirt. I've never seen another like it. It has "vacation" written all over it. Plus, every married dude has to have a shirt in his wardrobe that his wife despises. I probably have two or three. It's crucial to his identity. Please, DO NOT throw out this perfectly good shirt along with a piece of Harley's masculinity. Flag shirt!

Kelly Durham said...

I voted not only against the shirt remaining in the closet, but for its immediate destruction. Sorry, Harley.

I'm SO impressed with the transformation. If you asked Carter about Banana Republic, I'm sure he'd start naming ACTUAL banana republics in South America. Congratulations on snagging such a dedicated student of fashion (despite the flag shirt anomaly).

lys said...

Got to go!

Crystal said...

I thought this post was so funny. How do you come up with such clever things to post about? I can't say I am a fan of the shirt either and will add my "no" to the voting pool if for nothing but sympathy for you. Jake also has a favorite shirt that comes between us- a t shirt with a hostess cupcake dressed like a king which he won in a cupcake eating contest. I "left" it at lake powell one year, but somebody we were with found it, packed it and returned it. I am afraid you just can't get away from these things. Tacky as a flag shirt may seem- hostess cupcakes dressed like royalty may have you beat.

becky said...

I'm dying. Literally LOL-ing. Sorry Harley, but I gotta stick with my girl. We husband transformers have to stick together. We're fighting the good fight.

Shirt's gotta go.

Summer and Dave said...

no way - no how - no flag shirt

jonathan said...

Wave that flag, Harley. I voted in support of the shirt.

The Petrini Post said...

i'm so sorry Harley....but it's seen "better" days, I'm sure. Consider it trashed. :)

Ali Snow said...

You need more boys reading your blog otherwise the flag shirt is gone for sure! Harley, call on your friends to SAVE THE FLAG SHIRT!!! It's not like you wear it all the time and it brings so many fun memories. Lake Powell wouldn't be Lake Powell unless we loose the flag shirt and it reappears several days later caught on some branch in the middle of the lake. I say keep it. It's a good time.

amy s said...

I say keep the shirt!! My dad (uncle jim) had an awesome Hawaiian shirt from his mission. White with hot pink flowers. I think I can only remember him wearing it once in my 31 years. However I was sad to learn it didn't make it to the new house a few years ago. So i say keep it, maybe don't wear it. But keep it for posterity. (Maybe make it into a pillow or something for Anderson)
-Amy Strong

Jill said...

I agree with Ali. Harley might need to start email some guys to help his cause here. I'm torn with the voting her. I know I wouldn't want Andrew wearing anything like that in public (not that he hasn't worn some awful things), but it's also pretty funny in a dorky way. . . . Um, okay. I vote against. Sorry Harley.

Drew said...

Sweet shirt. Where can I get one?

Ming said...

I've got your back Wendaline. I've seen that thing up close and personal and it has got to go! No apologies necessary Harley, if anything you should be apologizing to the world of fashion for wearing that monstrosity. Here's to a flag burning that won't get you thrown in jail...Cheers!

Lisa said...

KEEP THE SHIRT!!! WEAR IT OFTEN!! EMBRACE THE WORLD!! yeaaaah boi. don't let wendy control your style harley. you sport that shirt brotha.

gr8mother said...

My vote: KEEP THE SHIRT! Harley loves it and you love him. Don't change who he is or one day you may not recgonize him and that would be sad.

Mommasita

Catherine said...

I would just like to say one thing... has anyone noticed how when Harley is in his "Geek" gear he looks SO happy? And then when he's in his "chic" clothing he looks sad. Maybe they're just the pictures, but I think a picture is worth a thousand words. Long live the geek!

Ligia said...

I say keep it...not to wear, but rather as a great cleaning rag...sorry Harley! But that way you both win. It's a little thing called compromise :o)

Ali Snow said...

Good point Catherine.

Sara J Sol said...

I am all about helping our hubbies go from Geek to Chic, BUT, we cannot expect to fully change our men. They are what they are. We loved the 'Geek' in them-which is why we married them. So, I say let them keep a small part of their geekiness. Kaveh has his infamous red jersey shorts & his 20yr old tie-dyed t-shirt. He wears them when he's vegging out at home-which is a lot more than just swimming or boating. So, I vote FOR Keeping the shirt. It makes your hubby happy & he wears it once in a blue moon. We've changed their ENTIRE wardrobes. They should have a right to keep 1 article of clothing.
Harley-I got ur back buddy! Thx for helping me for 2 hours on my labels. They look fabulous :)

brookie said...

I know the poll is over, but just had to let Wendy know I side with her on this one. We've got a similar fashion transformation project in the works over at our house, so thanks for this inspiring post.