Thursday, August 28, 2008

Movin' Out

I wish this entry was about the Tony award winning musical but it's not. Instead it's about the King family starting a new life chapter and therefore movin' out of our small apartment and into a smaller apartment. Here's a look at the unimpressive progress we've made so far.


I need a break from that pile of cardboard, so blog time it is. Moving is an odious process every 20-something and their spouse does multiple times the first decade of marriage. No matter how you organize, no matter how you plan, no matter how sweet your closure, it just sucks. You have the casualties (moment of silence for the clock my dad cracked and the vase the Elder dropped), the manual labor, the goodbyes, the stressful new home hunt, the SCHLEP that is Move Day in 100 degree heat plus humidity (shout out to Katie who helped move our crap into our current apartment just two years ago), the EXPENSE, the battle with utility companies (have I mentioned lately how much I HATE Comcast?!) and the WORST: "camping" for WEEKS until you're unpacked, organized, wireless and know where your razor blades are.

I'm trying to not focus on those things. Determined to look on the bright side, I give you the Top 5 PERKS of moving:

#1. Ditch the junk mail. I received a $20 gift certificate for Natural America Spirit cigarettes the other day. How in the world did I get on that mailing list? Peace out cigs. I'm moving and you don't know where.

#2. Clean sweep your stuff. I am my mother's daughter, and I LOVE a good purging of personal items. Goodbye baggy, midriff-bearing red sweater from my senior year in high school. Take your Doc Marten's, expired box of Mac & Cheese and Victoria's Secret body splashes and have a party in my trash can.

#3. An excuse to eat fast food. Empty fridge, empty cupboards and nowhere-to-be-found pots and pans, really leave you with no other option. (Plus, hello... all that Mac & Cheese is gone.)

#4. The chance that maybe... just maybe... our cell phones will have decent reception in our new apartment.

#5. Fresh start. New home, new ward, new friends, new opportunity to set goals and KEEP them.

**Bonus Perk: Giving your move a music theme and listening exclusively to that genre while packing. This move's theme: Broadway. (Maybe that's why "Movin' Out" is on the mind...)


Wow, I impress even myself with my optimism. Now, if you'll indulge me for just a moment, I would like to pay tribute to the ONE THING I will miss MOST about our current apartment.


I LOVE my closet. It's big, clean, has built-in shelves and is ORGANIZED. Clothes and shoes are carefully categorized by season, material and color.


Everything has a place. If this wasn't a PG-rated blog I'd show the way I hang my bras from hooks on the wall. Instead we'll feature handbags (admittedly a little overcrowded in this particular area) and storage boxes.


Most importantly, this closet is 100% mine. Harley uses the closet in the second bedroom which used to be the office before it became the nursery. Having separate closets was probably the best thing that ever happened to our marriage. Now it's time to say goodbye. In our new apartment I will have to shove my clothes together and SHARE SPACE with my husband. At least it's a walk-in. Still, marriage counselors stand by.

Okay, enough blogstraction. (Blogstraction=distracted by blogging. New word?) Back to packing.




19 comments:

Dolphinsbarn said...

My favorite thing about this post (besides Anders chillin' on top of the boxes) is that you are excited about getting rid of your mid-driff sweater on THIS move. You've had it since High School? What makes this innerstate move so special that it gets the prestige of bagging (what sounds like) the most exciting member of the Wendy W. King wardrobe?

bclawson03 said...

Have fun on your move! I know how difficult it is, but I love meeting new people! Where are you moving to?

Codi said...

I am right there with you. We didn't have water for the first 3 days we were here. They "can't guarantee" when they will turn it on. Wish they would have told us that when we called to have it turned on. We could have stayed in South Carolina for three more days instead of Days Inn. I pray that this is the last time we have to move ourselves. But I am so glad that we are here.

Kaija said...

love the new word -- blogstraction! and i LOVE THE PHOTOS of anderson with boxes and popcorn!!! kirk and i are gearing up for a move, though one just down the street, at the end of next month -- and i love how we love some of the same things about moving, despite the horrible hassle of it all -- i LOVE purging my stuff, re-organizing, and developing new habits and goals. YAY! best of luck with the pile of cardboard!!! and thanks for indulging in some blogstraction so that i can do the same :)

Harley King said...

A search for "blogstraction" in Google leads straight to your entry. Congrats. You own that word.

I wish we owned a house.

Maybe we could save out marriage a little more by moving to separate beds?

Ligia said...

That's awesome. You just invented the word "blogstraction." I remember when the word "bling" came out I thought, "who in the world invented that DUMB word?" But you, my dear...you are genious. I love it. As for the moving, we're SO SAD to have you guys leave us. I told Harley that in every ward we're in I always develop a "crush" on a couple...and the King's just happen to be my crush this year. And I always seem to lose my crushes to these moves across town. Are you sure you don't want to live in our basement???

jonathan said...

I like that last pic, the head shot.

And Harley's telling the truth, "blogstraction" on Google brings you up first. Niiice.

Ali Snow said...

I miss Anders. Just tape that box up and mail him to me please :)

Rebecca Ann said...

At least you know where you are moving too. Still no word on where the Kirk and Jennie Weiler family will be residing. I'm telling everyone they are mission presidents...

Coming from an unnaturally organized girl, I can sympathize with your fears. I hate moving too, especially into crappy Provo apartments. I wish you well will your UNpacking.

lys said...

Wendy, you never cease to amaze me! I'm so impressed by how you have your shoes organized. Can you come do my closet?

Summer and Dave said...

i'm totally going to replicate your old closet in our new house, so you gotta send those PG-13 bra hanging pics to my e-mail so i can get that technique down too.

separate bathrooms brought new life to our marriage.

Sarah S said...

seriously, I am totally impressed with your closet organization. Good luck finishing up before this weekend - it always feels down to the last minute and so stressful. I hate moving!!!! But I'm glad you have some things to make it bright too.

Lisa said...

i love the first and last pic of anders amongst all the chaos. good luck kings. loves

Kelly Durham said...

Wendy, you are so funny! I LOVE that Anderson got his very own box.

And now, a moment of silence for that beautiful closet you left behind . . .

Ming said...

Love the pic of Anders in the packing peanuts! The worst part of moving is the move itself..the best part of moving is unpacking in your new apt. I always love the fresh start and a chance to come up with a new decorating scheme.

Oh, and blogstraction needs to head straight to Divabonics. Maybe we should finish that someday :)

Lauren said...

Good luck in the new place. I can not wait for an excuse to drive up and visit Y'all. The pic of Anderson all packed up was hilarious! And I think you should submit blogstraction to Webster. I am ready to use it daily.

Ben said...

I'm only sorry we're not there to pack your boxes like you packed ours. Moving does suck ... a lot.

JessK said...

As someone who is currently squatting among boxes, I sympathize greatly. A word of advice: never do a two-part move where the 2 pars are months apart. It sucks.

PS. Anderson is adorable, and getting so big!

Suzette Selden said...

I love your closet. How do you get it to look like that?!? Mine is always a disaster. Hope the move goes well.