Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Holy Houdini!

I LOVE Anderson's Swaddle Me. It's one of my top three best baby products. However, since we've returned from Utah, Mr. Muscly and Strong doesn't love it so much. After a serious battle, we achieve lock-down and begin the night like this:

About 2 minutes later we're here:

And 30 seconds later we're here:


Translation: NO ONE is sleeping very well! The biggest problem is once Anderson's hands are free, he pops out his pacifier which he needs to soothe to sleep. I love that my baby is growing, but I hate that my little escape artist has found ways out of his "straight jacket."

Last week, I believe I discovered a solution:

Yup, it's back to baby gowns with hand covers for us. His limbs have freedom, but his fingers don't have access to his mouth. Added benefit: his fast-growing nails can't mutilate his face. (What IS it with those nails?! Is he secretly popping pre-natal vitamins too? I can't keep up. Dang Gina, somebody get this baby a mani!)

To think just a few months ago he was our little burrito baby who didn't budge, even in a blanket without velcro.




9 comments:

lys said...

I feel your pain, Wendy. We've been SwaddleMe fans too. Lately, Stratton has been struggling to stay inside it-- similar to Anderson. I can't decide what to do. . . and a part of me wishes that I never swaddled him to begin with. . .

Crystal said...

Yes Yes Kate had that exact blue swaddle me when she was that age, and then the bigger size when she was older because it was so great She could figure out how to get out too and not fall asleep, so in the swaddle me, then pinned on either side by pillows it was. Then when she fell asleep I would move the pillows so she was safer. Hey whatever it takes I say. But it may start bad habits as my 17 month old still likes to be loosely wrapped up in a blanket or else wont fall asleep.

Emily said...

It's tricky, tricky to cut those baby nails I need to find some hand covers. Anderson is looking handsome. Hope you are doing well. Love, Emily

Codi said...

We swaddles Iris until she was 10 months old. It looked hilarious to have such a big baby swaddled. Scott was the only one that could figure out how to swaddle her just right to keep her in. He was very proud of that achievement. Willa was never swaddled (she hated it) and she would never take a binky. And at 18 months she still is a horrible sleeper.

Sara said...

Swaddle me what? You'll have to explain when I see you. All I know is that Anderson looks adorable in these pics. I can't wait to to squeeze him!

anna banana said...

I am just so glad you are back from UT, cause now you post again! Miss you! So fun to see cute Anders escaping!

Ali Snow said...

That is quite the Houdini act. From the second picture to the third (aka, 30 seconds later), not only has he broken free from his swaddle me and is awake and smiling with no pacifier...but he has also changed outfits!

Kelly Durham said...

D'oh! I HATE it when kids outsmart/outgrow a tried and true mommy trick. Especially one that involves sleep!

And what IS it with those crazy sharp baby nails? I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I was afraid I was the only one giving birth to miniature Wolverines with razors-for-nails that grow back the second I cut them! And, hello, the wrestling match to GET them cut is such a nightmare. I'm hoping someone will invent something brilliant to combat this problem. Or at least opens a salon catering to infants . . .

In the mean time, my fingers are crossed that the nightgowns do the trick and everybody gets some rest!

TamiAbbyKevin said...

So cute, when they work their way out of the swaddle, so bad for your sleep and happiness levels.