Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hormones + Haircut + Hysterical Baby


Girlfriends advise don't make any big changes to your hair when you're pregnant, postpartum or otherwise hormonally unstable. Might I add, don't make any big changes to your husband's hair during those times either!




The worst part? I DID THIS! The reason I royally screwed up his haircut? I was distracted by this:


I don't like Harley's hair too short. He loves it too short. When I don't cut it (yes, I cut my husband's hair) short enough or soon enough, Harley takes the shears to his head himself. The result: one of us ends up with a crew cut, the other ends up in tears.

Last night, I agreed to cut Harley's hair a little shorter than I like and a little longer than he likes. Using a "No. 3" cutting guide with our Whal Professional Designer Clipper I went to work. For some reason Anderson decided to have the most fitful, dare I say fussy, hour of his life when I was about five minutes into the job. Suddenly the simple haircut became a one-hour ordeal with several interruptions. At one highly distracted, tragic point I lost track of which part of Harley's head I was on and more importantly FORGOT THE CLIPPER HAD NO CUTTING GUIDE ATTACHED and shaved one strip of his head!!!!





I was horrified! What do you do? You can't put the hair back. You can't hide this with a hat. You have no choice but to SHAVE THE REST OF HIS HEAD so at least it matches. I made my husband look like a skinhead... a cancer patient... oh yeah and he's speaking in sacrament meeting on Sunday! But guess how he feels about his new look?




Anderson and I can't look at him without cringing or crying (I'll let you guess which one cringes and which one cries...)



Painful reminder of the old handsome hairstyle:


SIDE NOTE: Dad feeding Baby a breastmilk bottle while getting his hair cut = not a good idea.

19 comments:

Sarah S said...

at least his hair will grow back relatively fast. so sorry wendy!! it's hard to focus on anything with a crying baby in the background.

Stephanie said...

Harley's hair looks fine! You did a great job multi-tasking.

Claudia said...

I did that to Joshua's hair once. I tried to "blend it". He put on a hat, went to the nearest salon, and didn't let me near his hair again for about 10 years. And never again with clippers. It will grow back. Trust me.

Kelly said...

Carter is sporting that same look right now. Three kids later, I don't even fight him on his cancer patient/skinhead preference. Harley is a handsome guy and pulls the look of nicely . . . though I feel your pain.

Wendy Weiler King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harley King said...

Thanks for the hella-sweet hair, dear.

You know I love it short.

Joe said...

Harley, I think it looks sweet. And by sweet I mean gnarly. And by gnarly I mean radical. You're part of the brotherhood now (Larry David anyone?) and I take slight offense to the insinuation (okay, outright declaration), Miss Wendy, that this was a tragic mistake. Please allow us bald(ing) men the dignity of having our haircut of choice remain a legitimate option for men everywhere. Also, might I draw your attention to the picture of Harley grimacing (looking angry?) as he awaits the rest of his macho-doo. Now, that is someone you don't want to bump into after dark. Grrrrrr! H-man, you never looked so tough!

janaemadsen said...

I love it. This is why I never cut John's hair

Codi said...

So funny! Thanks for the laugh! I have to threaten Scott with cutting my own hair as short as his when he talks about shaving it off! And I think that I just might go through with it, if it came down to it.

Amanda said...

Kings,
Sorry about the hair, but it sure did make for a hilarious story - and pictures too =). Good thing guy's hair grows fast!
p.s. this is just more confirmation that i should not cut my husband's or son's hair.
p.p.s. we got Anderson's birth announcement - so adorable! Thanks!

Iowa Newmans said...

Lisa did a similar thing to Alli when she was two! It was devastating and has taken us 6 years to get to the point where we could talk about it! She was a two year old with a combover! It was classic. Harley, you look GREAT!

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Hillarious.

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, and Josh said...

While reading your blog - I had terrible memories when Liezl was a couple of months old and the same thing happened! I am having sad, stressed out feelings just thinking about it. Maybe in a couple of years we will both be able to laugh it off.

becky said...

Chris read this to me in bed and we were dying. What style and panache!

The Petrini Post said...

Okay, this makes me laugh because I've totally done that to JOhn before on accident. One time, he did it to himself just to make me mad because I told him I couldn't do it at that moment, so he took it into his own hands. I was so mad, I couldn't look at him. Hang in there, at least it grows back...in 5-6 weeks. :)

Lisa said...

lol

Jessica said...

first of all, bald is NOT bad. Growing up in an almost entirely bald family, I am actually quite partial to it...

second--if you languish so much about how you do harley's hair, FREAKING SPEND 8 DOLLARS AT SMART CUTS! We are not talking 35 bucks here at the salon next to Cafe Europa, we are talking the joint next to the cash advance booth inside the local wal-mart. THink about it...

love you:)
PS does harley still wear his "uniform" when you are tending to his locks?

Mary Underwood said...

This is Zach Underwood using my wife's account. I have to throw down my gauntlet on HARLEY'S side on this one.

Bad haricut or not .. I think it looks fine! Plus, it's so practical. Just wake and go!

Tess said...

Hey Wendy...found your blog via Katie's (I'm her old roommate). I just have to say that I loved this post...you're a great writer! I have a hard enough time cutting my husband's hair and we don't even have a baby yet, so I can only imagine!