Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Vampire Anniversary to Me!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have reached a personal milestone. As of today, March 21st 2008, I've officially been producing morning newscasts for THREE YEARS. I never would have believed when John Jewkes and Graydon Johns took me to lunch at The Carriage Cafe and told me they wanted to move me from nightside associate producer to morning producer that THREE YEARS later, I'd still be working those ghastly hours they described. That's THREE YEARS of working nights and sleeping days. That's THREE YEARS of "twisting" every Friday (check: 156 times of at least trying to stay up 24 straight hours). THREE YEARS of skipping peaceful Sundays afternoons filled with visiting friends, phone calls home, journaling, etc. to instead rush to bed to "twist" back. The biggest one: THREE YEARS OF BEING TIRED! It's also THREE YEARS of not sharing a bed with my husband during the week. It's sad to say, but thanks to this shift, Harley and I have NOT sleep together more nights in our marriage than we HAVE.

I really enjoy producing. Right now, I am especially loving my 5AM show. But I have to say, it's been a hard THREE YEARS! It's been hard on my body (especially my pregnant body... by the way, many of you will remember me vowing I would never do this shift pregnant. Ha!), hard on my sanity, hard on my social life and hard on my marriage. I must give a shout out to Harley here because he has been amazingly supportive of my difficult hours and my career in general. I don't think I would have been so understanding and patient had the roles been reversed. I'm grateful for my old job at KSL. I'm grateful for my current job at Fox 5. I've learned and grown in many ways and have had really cool experiences in this industry. But... I am so ready to STOP the overnight shift! I have ten newscasts left to produce before I go on maternity leave. That's two more Fridays to twist and a mere 110 teases to write!

Things I Will Love about Being Back on a Normal Schedule
*seeing the sun all day, every day
*sleeping with my husband in the same bed at the same time! (yea for pillow talk!)
*having holidays off!!!!!! No bartering, no begging involved... I just get them OFF!
*lazy Sunday afternoons that AREN'T part of the work week
*not being on the verge of tears far too often with no good reason, because I'm just that tired
*no longer being that girl who always talks about how she slept and how tired she is
*staying on vacation as long as I want (Utah for the entire month of July -- YEA!)
*feeling fun on a Friday night, instead of feeling exhausted
*not immediately counting the hours I slept once I wake up, trying to figure out if it was sufficient
*maybe the bags under my eyes will disappear?
*no more insomnia... hopefully! (though I blame that mostly on the 3rd trimester... not my shift)

Things I Will Miss About the Overnight Shift (yes, there are a few)
*never dealing with traffic
*my super productive Fridays
*good (even if brief) chats with friends during my commute
*The Kane Show on Hot 99.5FM (especially their "War of the Roses" segments)
*weekends starting at 7AM on Friday
*having the entire bed to myself:)
*rarely having to set an alarm (Harley's kisses at 9:30PM=best wake-up call ever!)
*justifying lots of Coke (I also vowed I would not let this shift make me a caffeine junkie... whoops)

That's just talking positives and negatives about the hours. Don't even get me started on the Working v. Not Working pros and cons. I have really mixed feelings about my pending "career change," and it makes me a little too emotional to talk about it.;) And, I know, I know... being a new mom does not involve a "normal" schedule. But something tells me sleepless nights with a newborn won't last THREE YEARS (they better not)! I've also got a whole list on how producing at 3AM and mothering at 3AM are totally different, but I'll save that until I've actually experienced both.



March 21st 2005
My first day (night) as a producer.
(note: Harley is in his pajamas as I'm
heading out the door at 10:30PM!)

June 30th 2006
Me and MDA (Marie Davies): Best Producing Team Ever
with our "KSL High Five" Award

June 30th 2006
KSL Eyewitness News Morning Team



June 1st 2007
Fox 5 Morning News Team on Anchor's Last Day


December 31st 2007
Producing 5AM Newscast in Fox 5 Control Room
(note: Michael, My Valentine is to my right!)


11 comments:

Harley said...

Things I will miss:
Killer news tours
Income
Telling strangers my baby is a hot-shot producer at Foxxx-Fivvve!
Afternoons to myself to do homework

Things I will not miss
Waking up at the BCD for the killer news tours
Hearing the daily "How I Slept Saga"
Making dinner
Extra miles on car

The Knisley's said...

Wendy! I'm so happy for you. I know it's been a while since you've slept at night, but I'm telling ya- it's so good! :-) Keep us posted on the upcoming weeks, Mama King!

Sarah S said...

Life is going to make a major turn for the better when you get some nighttime sleep. I hope you're able to get at least a few good nights of great sleep before the baby arrives.

lys said...

#1 thing that I'm excited about with your new "normal" schedule:

Being able to call you during the day and talk to you!!!

Claudia said...

Congrats on being able to sleep nights soon! One piece of advice: get the book "On Becoming Babywise" - it is an infant sleep management schedule. It will get that baby sleeping at night (if not through the night) way sooner than 3 years. Adayla has it down now - wakes up twice at night to eat, goes right back to bed...

Crystal and Jake said...

Congradulations. You deserve a break... ha ha ha like you will get one with a baby coming in a matter of days. And you thought your sleep has been horrible the last three years, hopefully you will be blessed with a good sleeper.

anna banana said...

Thank you for the birthday call! I sure cant wait until I can just call you and not think, oh no , what time is it? Am I going to disturb Wendy's sleep....calculate, calculate, I cant figure it out I better just not call.

And a second on the Babywise book, it will help them sleep through the night, Adam was a great sleeper right from the start but he was giving me 8-10 hours by 2 months thanks to the book. Jake was a horrible sleeper, but he was giving me 7-9 hours by 2 months thanks to the book. Buy it! 2 months is a lot shorter then 3 years!

Suzette Selden said...

I'm so excited you'll be back to normal hours soon. As a previous morning show producer, I can attest to how HAPPY you will soon be!!! Nothing beats sleeping at night, and you'll finally have a full weekend instead of just a Saturday. I always felt like I was working 6 days a week on that schedule. Good luck with everything!

jaredandmatisse said...

Wendy! You deserve a round of applause for all your efforts as a hot shot producer. This experience will open so many doors for you weather you return to the work force or not. Your energy and enthusiasm for perfection has gotten you through this unique time and I am so thrilled I can call you during the day too! You are my inspiration and I always think of you when ever my feet hurt, or I am at the theater until the wee hours because I know you have also sacrificed a lot to "Live the Dream". I love you! Where are you going next? Will you stay in D.C.? I feel like I am out of the loop.

ming said...

Hooray for no more night shifts! Can you just move to CO now so we can be friends again? I don't like this distance between us..it feels wrong :)

Mary Underwood said...

I can't believe you've been working for 3 years on the NIGHT SHIFT. HOLY SMOKES! That's just plain BRUTAL!! I'm so happy for you and Harley. Having your first child is one of the most special experiences in life. Save up your sleep now, folks! For a few months, you're not going to be getting much! :) But it's hard .. yet so worth it! Love your blog! http://underwoodpartyof5.blogspot.com

Take care! Zach Underwood