Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Gene Pool Cleansing Success?

The first time I saw Harley King he was standing up in sacrament meeting when Bishop Whetton called him to be my Ward Activities Committee co-chair. One couldn't help but notice Harley was short. A few days later, I had my first conversation with Harley, as we met in a BYUSA office to plan the Wardymplics (think SLC 2002 Winter Olympics on a ward level... it was great!). In the middle of our meeting he leaned across the table and with a Texas accent asked: "Have you ever dated a shorter man? Because I'm lookin' to cleanse the gene pool."

Six years later, Harley may have his achieved his goal! At yesterday's 32 1/2 week ultrasound, we learned our baby is five pounds! That's a BIG baby... and he keeps growing! Average weight for babies at this stage is only 3.75 pounds. Now my doctor is talking about the possibility of inducing me a week early, so I don't have to go through the pain of delivering a massive child. (Of course, this all comes to pass three days after my mom books her plane ticket and I submit my maternity leave...) My mom reminded me I was big: 8 lb 12 ounces. In fact, all her babies were big... Cheryl being the largest at 10 pounds!! Harley is thrilled. I guess tall trumps!


Three generations of short genes (granddad's height DIDN'T trump in this case). And note Harley is on his toes!

P.S. I've been meaning to blog about the fantastic time I had at the Barry Manilow concert for days, but just haven't had the time. Instead, I will link to Cheryl's new blog, where you can read all about the Fanilow madness (which for the record, was instilled in us by our hip mother two decades ago)!

8 comments:

The Petrini Post said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny. At least Harley has a good humor about his height. John gets mad if I ever say we are the same height, or if I don't at least try to make him sound taller than he is. :) He's only 5'8" (i'm 5'6") but he likes to think he is at least 5'10". It's a tall order.

Claudia said...

Cleansing the gene pool! Awesome! Having just delivered an 8lb 12oz baby - take the induction offer...

Sarah S said...

I'm impressed - that's a big baby!! Will your doctor do more ultrasounds to see if the growth continues like that? You look terrific by the way - I looked at your sister's blog and think your belly is SO cute! You don't look big at all.

two forks said...

i just stumbled on your blogs! congratulations!

lys said...

I'm so glad that Harley's wish is coming to pass. I just hope that it doesn't cause you too much pain!

JessK said...

You guys are funny. Five pounds--yikes! My only advice is get the epidural! Early! (Like, put your order in as soon as you get to the hospital. If they're busy, it sometimes takes an hour or two).

anna banana said...

I am so glad the gene pool cleansing is working! :) Great news for Harley, not so great news for your delivery, but you can handle it. Having delivered a 9lb baby my first time, I agree with the induction and epidural advice already offered. I miss you so much! Call me this week! Any night but Wednesday!

Suzette Selden said...

This is a comment not about your last entry but about the fact you love Arrested Development. My husband and I love LOVE LOVE that show... we have all the seasons on DVD. I'm glad to hear you were a fan because we could not figure out how that show got cancelled. It was the BEST ever. We still watch it over and over again. Hope you are doing well!