Monday, December 24, 2007

There's No Place Like #202 for the Holidays

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! What will I be doing tonight? Going to work. What will I be doing tomorrow? Sleeping. But that's okay! I'm not depressed about it because my entire family (minus missionary brother) is in town for the holidays, and we're having so much fun! They arrived last Wednesday, and we played and toured non-stop until Sunday when I had to go back to work. Right now, they're on to Cheryl & Ryan's in Charlottesville. Wednesday they will all come back, and we'll play even harder until Monday!

HPIM3660

"Operation Christmas in the Capital: Day 1" in front of the White House

For the first time in my life I'm hosting Christmas. This year Weiler Christmas is not Tuesday, but Saturday, the 29th, when we can all be together! I've spent weeks decorating, cooking, shopping, baking, (yes you read that last one correctly), preparing, planning, wrapping... did I mention hand-making ornaments? When I decide to do something, I go 100%... or maybe my "nesting" hormones are finally kicking in!:) I wanted to make "Operation Christmas in the Capitol" as special as possible. Granted, we are lacking many of the beautiful traditions my mom has established, but somehow cramming nine people into a two-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment with FOUR air mattresses (thank you ward friends!!), countless blankets and no room to walk will surely provide a Christmas no one will ever forget.

Here's a look at some of the little Christmas merries I've been working so hard on. Obviously these pictures were taken pre-family arrival, when I could still see my floor.

HPIM3644 I ripped the idea of a "Family Tree" out of the Pottery Barn catalog. I knew I couldn't afford to buy all the store's fancy frames, so I improvised, "scrapbooking" my own!

HPIM3627 HPIM3626

HPIM3654

We lit so many candles we worried we'd burn the place down! Note the silver branches and red bow atop the mirror. (Hint: If you click on the pictures they get bigger!) It may not look like much but that little festive diddy took me forever to perfect! Until this year, our topiary has served as our Christmas Tree. We didn't want it to feel left out, so we continued our tradition of putting lights and silver balls (made by our SLC Liberty Ward primary two years ago) on the topiary. 

HPIM3640

A glitter candle and red berry centerpiece, a full Poinsettia, silver chargers and a velvet ribbon boasting Christmas cards from you!
HPIM3639 Opening a mailbox full of Christmas cards is for sure one of my top five favorite things about the holidays.
HPIM3634
Everyone was greeted with a "welcome to DC" stocking containing a Metro map, water bottle, candy cane and detailed itinerary spelling out every hour of the 12 day extravaganza!

HPIM3635 HPIM3656

HPIM3641
Food to feed Washington's army!

This is from a few weeks ago just before a holiday party. Definitely showing at 22/23 (depending on whom you ask) weeks! :) Yeah, I’m doing all this six months pregnant… what was I thinking?! Truth be told, you know I LOVED every minute!!

HPIM3621 

14 comments:

Ben, Sarah & Eli said...

You look wonderful Wendy!! And your place looks SO nicely decorated... I think you should post your detailed itinerary (after it's all over) with pics so we can get a glimpse of how Operation DC Christmas turned out... :) Merry Christmas!

JessK said...

Beautiful decorations! And I love the itineraries. You always were an impeccable planner. :)

Rebecca said...

How fun! Your decorations are beautiful, and I love the stocking idea for everyone. I hope they all had fun, and that you enjoyed having your family visit you. See you in a week!

Anna and Al Rasmussen said...

you are amazing! I am sure all the family is having the time of their lives!

Crystal and Jake said...

I don't know what looked better you or your christmas home!

Lisa said...

You have done so great Wendy and Harley...seriously thank you so much. I loved it!

Ali said...

We had lots of fun. All the hard work and planning was much appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Harley said...

The best part was not being able to use our apartment bathroom for 12 days. That was awesome.

becky said...

Wendy! You put me to shame. Not only did you create the most glorious of Christmas-ness in your home, you did so WHILST PREGNANT. And you managed to look fabulous in the process.

(hanging head in shame)

We must hang out soon! I need to bask in your awesomeness so it can rub off on me!

lys said...

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. . .

This post made me miss you more than ever. I miss all your little agendas and details and perfection. If anyone can pull off hosting an entire family in an apartment it's you!

I can't wait to hear about how everything went. It was so sad to know that I was relatively close to you over Christmas, but not quite close enough to make the trip. I'm so sad that I'll never see you pregnant-- although from the 6-month photo you hardly look pregnant, so maybe I'm not missing out on much! :)

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I miss it. So funny. I expect you to put an equal amount of effort and decorating into our Barry Bash next month. JK

Kellie said...

Loved it, loved it, loved it all! I love Pottery Barn ideas! You look fabulous at 6 months!

jaredandmatisse said...

Wendy...darling...you are the a Domestic DC Diva Goddess. You are so pretty and I love your place. Will you come decorate my house for Christmas? I take it back, I'll stay totally neutral for Christmas and we will defer decorating energy into meeting in "The City"!

ming said...

Love the decor. Those pic ornaments turned out great! When/where did you get the sparkly silver chargers? Have I seen those before? Love em. Darling blue shirt...also new? Okay, many more comments on everything but I'll save them for the phone or when you're just here next weekend. Love you!