Monday, November 12, 2007

The Best Day!

Last weekend Harley and I had the BEST DAY! Maybe it was so great because I actually slept almost eight hours on a weekend (an anomaly now that I'm prego). Maybe it's because I had the most delicious grapefruit for breakfast. I'm telling you, the tart fruit never tasted so good! Thanks, Sarah, for the suggestion! Maybe it's because for the first time ever I wore maternity pants and a maternity top at the same time! (Until now, I've only been able to talk myself into one at a time.) It was a little strange, but very comfortable!

Any of these things would have made the day "great," but what made it the "best"? Behold the Shenandoah Valley!!!

HPIM3575
We didn't have time for it. We didn't plan for it. We just threw caution, to-do lists and all obligations to the wind, and headed an hour and a half south to enjoy the highly recommended Skyline Drive. Before we left, we made some rules to ensure "best-ness."

Rule #1. No discussing anything stressful. We both have a lot on our plates right now, and it's easy to only talk money, jobs, future, plans, needs etc. when we see each other. But not this day! No intense or complicated topics allowed -- only fun, inspiring ones!

Rule #2. No same old music. We grabbed old CDs we hadn't listened to since our dating years and rediscovered them. Sometimes rediscovering old music is better than discovering new music! Shout out to The Kinleys (and to Jessica for introducing us) and to Celine Dion! Gag if you must, but Harley and I fell in love to Miss Celine's "A New Day has Come." I know Sara understands this fabulous courtship soundtrack!:)

Rule #3. No buying food. Only a picnic lunch would do. Funny how a sandwich and an apple has never settled so well.

The drive was beautiful. Unfortunately, the leaves weren't "peaking" like they usually do because of the drought, but it was still breathtaking. The "best" part: spending a relaxed day together... just the two of us.

HPIM3579 HPIM3561 HPIM3582-1
HPIM3594
P.S. Monday wasn't bad either... because no big deal we had BOYZ II MEN live on our morning show! That's right, Fox 5 scored them BEFORE Good Morning America and the Today Show. You saw it here first people. Check it out! (Scroll past the interview... it gets a little long, but watch the performance... totally takes you back to junior high!)

7 comments:

Harley said...

I don't know what Wendy's talking about: I don't listen to Celine Dion.

JessK said...

I love random days to play! Take advantage of them now...

jaredandmatisse said...

Harley, don't suppress your inner feelings for Celine. - jared

Jolly said...

I can see your little stomach! Cute. ;-) Boyz II Men??? Wow. I loved them. About a month ago I asked Joe "Whatever happened to Boyz II Men???"

I think I remember dancing to a slow song with Jay Labrum in Jacque Westmorland's living room at the first boy-girl party I went to in sixth grade. Wow. ;-) I think that crush on Jay Labrum lasted for about 3 years, until I found out that Andy Pence "wanted to know if I liked him" and when I discovered that--then it was "Goodbye Jay, Hello Andy!" Andy played football. Woowoo.

I could go on...

-Em Plicka (as "Jolly")

Ben, Sarah & Eli said...

OH my deliciousness. Yeah for grapefruit!! I'm going to have to go out and buy some even though I'm not prego anymore... :) I'm glad it tasted good to you too!

lys said...

Sounds like it was a great day! I'm so impressed that you are so prepared to embrace maternity clothes. I still haven't made the jump. . .

Davis & Asialene said...

It all looks so beautiful! Good for you guys for making yourself do that. It would be a dream to live out east for a year or two.