Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Egg McMuffin

You're looking at my morning staple. Two pieces of ham, two eggs, three pieces of cheese smooshed between an everything bagel. I probably shouldn't call it an "Egg McMuffin," for it is neither muffin nor of McDonalds... but for some reason, that's just what I call it. And I eat one every single morning.

Okay, maybe not every morning, but just about. Most of you know I'm not exactly a gourmet chef. I'm doing a lot better in the kitchen lately (thanks to easy recipes from many of you!), but I'm still pretty unmotivated when it comes to providing food for myself, especially at 7:30AM. It is at this time of day I am starving. Having worked all night with no food break I am pretty much ready to eat my hand when I get home. My 7:30AM meal is my "dinner." It's the biggest meal I have in a 24 hour period. I make the Egg McMuffin because it's quick, easy and very filling. I really do consume one most Monday-Fridays. Sometimes I branch out to cereal, leftovers or a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese, but usually I just go with my staple. It's that easy. I'm that lazy. I'm that much a creature of habit. Heck, let's throw in low maintenance! That's right, I'm that "low maintenance" when it comes to food! Oh and did I mention I find it delicious?!! Today is my one year anniversary at Fox. (I promise the next post will have nothing to do with anniversaries.) I would say for the last year I have eaten an Egg McMuffin 95% of weekday mornings. Amazingly, I'm not sick of it. Harley, on the other hand -- who introduced me to the breakfast treat -- wants to hurl every time he looks at it. I just remind him: "Honey, this is me being low maintenance."

12 comments:

Harley said...

It's true, I want to puke every time I see it. Originally, I made it with one egg, one piece of cheese and one piece of ham. Slowly, the muffin has become the double decker behemoth she comes and eats today. I've got a new name:

Heart-attack city.

Logical Libby said...

I think it looks delicious... and packed with protein. And dairy. I mean, it's practically health food.

Kellie said...

Wendy!! So glad to hear from you! AND I am so glad you have a blog. I think it is a great way to see what's up with everyone. I can't believe it has been a year since you have moved out there. That went by fast. I still remember hearing about the crash of Beyonce and now you have Fergie, right? ;) Love your blog.

Sounds like you have such an intense job. I hope things get better there in Maryland. 3000 miles is a long way. Layne says hello! He was excited to hear from you too! We'll keep tabs on your blog to keep up with you!

matisse said...

This sounds like a very comforting routine, and if it helps you get through a long night, I am supportive. If you ever did want to change it up so it was a little more nutritious, you could exchange the muffin for some whole wheat pita bread, beagle or tortilla. It would be much more nutty and flavorful on a slice of whole grain bread (excuse to go to Trader's). Remember, fiber is your friend. You can also cut the cholesterol by using a 1 to 3 yoke to egg white ratio. Eggs are very good for you, but I have read it is best not to eat more then 7 per week. You could also through in some yummy veggies into the egg part like asparagus, broccoli, red peppers, onion, anything you love. This will add more fiber and give you an excuse to put RANCH dressing on the sandwich. Yummy! Love ya

Asialene said...

I love blogs because there is always something new to learn about someone...this post has topped them all! I have to admit though, I sort of agree with Harley in a way. Heart-attack did cross my mind as I was reading! But it does look really good, which I'm sure it is.

T&C Nelson said...

I say do what you want...at the discretion of your caring husband. I'm just saying if you've been able to eat enough of these to actually bleed melted cheese and it's accompanying grease, while not gaining more than 10 pounds, good on ya'.

lys said...

And I thought you ate Ohs! cereal every morning. Oh wait, they don't have that in MD. . .

erin said...

(directed to you from alyssa)...i live in MD too. in fact, i'm pretty sure i'm in your stake. if i went to stake conference ever, maybe i'd see you. :)

we do egg mcmuffins in our house and call them the exact same thing. man, mcdonald's has done an amazing job with branding.

and i too HATE comcast!

i'll inform alyssa that we do, in fact, have oh's cereal in MD.

thanks for giving me something to read in the last hour of work on a friday.

erin said...

i found my oh's at giant in leisure world (on georgia ave, just north of route 28). let me know if you can't find them there.

Jen said...

How are things going in Maryland? It's been a long time since I've heard, so it's fun to find your blog. I hope things are going great!

Crystal and Jake said...

We love Oh's at our house too, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find even here in Utah. Also we eat a lot of egg mcmuffins, only disgustingly enough, we don't cook the yolk all the way through on purpose and call it fake eggs benedict.... that way we get our morning dose of heartattacks and saminila. Yummm!

Claudia said...

I understand the habit. I think I ate the same lunch every day at work for about 5 years. It was just so much easier than thinking of something new...