Friday, August 31, 2007

I Like My Life in Gaithersburg

One year ago today Harley and I moved to Gaithersburg, Maryland. It's been a big, and I'll admit kind of hard, year for us. We had a great life in Utah. We lived really close to family. We had wonderful friends, and we really liked living in downtown Salt Lake City. For us this move was "the big one." The move most young married couples inevitably make at some point. We moved 3000 miles across the country to a place we'd never been. We didn't know a soul. We didn't go home for ten months. In the beginning, it seemed nothing worked out. From a car accident to Comcast drama (HATE that company) the transition was not smooth. To top things off, my new job was really intense and demanded about 60 hours/week. The title page for my journal last year read: "I Hate My Life in Gaithersburg." It was kind of a joke, but kind of had a lot of truth too.

Well, what a difference a year makes! Many friends have told me it took them a year after "the big move" before they felt settled and really happy. Now that it's officially been one year I can honestly say: "I like my life in Gaithersburg"! I feel settled here and when returning from a recent trip, this place even felt like "home." Most importantly, I think I finally know what I'm doing at work!;) (This is KEY since I blame 90% of my first year stress and struggle on my job.) Harley is half-way through grad school, and I'm really looking forward to our second year here. Knowing me, I'll probably "love my life in Gaithersburg" when it's time to go!
HPIM2558

The Major Move Team

HPIM2555 
Jim and Harley did a great job packing (there were only a few casualties).

HPIM2614 
First meal in our new apartment.

9 comments:

Derrald said...

Hello! So happy to hear that you're liking your new home. Having been there twice I can say that it's AMAZING. And not just because the guest mattresses were five feet high. You guys are the best.

Anna and Al Rasmussen said...

Love the first dinner pic....:)

Claudia said...

Welcome to blog-land! I am so glad that you are starting to like DC. I never thought I would say it, but I really miss the place! Take total advantage of all the fun it has to offer - you never know how long you will be there! And last, a restaurant recommendation: Meskerem in Adams-Morgan. It's Ethiopian, and the best one in the city!

Davis & Asialene said...

Soooooo glad you have a blog now! You have an exciting life, so I know your blog will be exciting to read. :)

Crystal and Jake said...

So happy so see you have joined the blogging world. I loved the fav. things list. I think checking things off my to do list, Matt Lauer and snow skiing would be on my top ten too!

Dolphinsbarn said...

I don't see "Jeff Lind" on list of favorite things. Don't like it King. Not one bit.

Cristi said...

Yay! Blogger pals! Good way to see what you both are up to!! Lets play when you come out to the Left Coast!

Dolphinsbarn said...

Just checking back to see if "Jeff Lind" made the favorite things list. Hmmmm...

The Seversons said...

Wendy, I hate comcast too :) I love your new blog!